• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly is satiny luster?

7 posts in this topic

I often hear the word 'cartwheel' luster, and also satiny luster. Isn't satiny luster a bit more dull?

Many 1908 no motto saints do not have blazing luster, which is something I noticed. So would the luster on these be more of a satiny luster?

Here's a picture of one

BeautifulBEST-1.jpg

SaintObverse.jpg

Thanks for the help

I use satiny luster to describe something which looks smoother than full blazing luster. Full blazing luster looks like water dripping off the surfaces, but satiny is a bit more subdued. It is still very attractive, just not as blazing as full luster. As a note, you should be able to still get a cartwheel effect with satiny luster.

I would describe the luster on 1908 No Motto saints as "satiny". On the other hand, 1927 Saints are often bright and flashy and exhibit more of a cartwheel luster.

I would describe the luster on 1908 No Motto saints as "satiny". On the other hand, 1927 Saints are often bright and flashy and exhibit more of a cartwheel luster.

(thumbs u

I use satiny luster to describe something which looks smoother than full blazing luster. Full blazing luster looks like water dripping off the surfaces, but satiny is a bit more subdued. It is still very attractive, just not as blazing as full luster. As a note, you should be able to still get a cartwheel effect with satiny luster.

Satiny luster coins can be very attractive. The trouble is I've seen the grading services down grade them by a point or two on the MS scale. At the same time I've seen them ignore marks to would normally cost a Mint State coin a grading point or two if the piece has "blazing luster."

I do not agree with that policy, but there is nothing anyone can do about it. To me blazing luster is a bit over rated, especially with the coin has significant marks that get ignored.

Edited to add:

In the early days of the Walking Liberty and Mercury dimes, the mint made an effort to produce coins with the more subdued satiny luster. Collectors who have compared these coins with the later issues will note this. The reason was that the artists of that period MUCH preferred the Matte stype finish because they thought that it presented their work in a better light. Adolph Weinman, who designed the Mercury Dime and Walking Liberty half dollar, even went so far as to call the brilliant luster coins "cheap looking."

It was for the this reason that the Matte Proof coins were issued. Collectors at the time did not like the Matte Proofs, however, and that ultimately resulted in their replacement by brilliant Proof coins. Today, we have a mixture of the two concepts with the cameo coins, which I think are the best of both worlds. (thumbs u