• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could someone please give me some information on these coins?

10 posts in this topic

I need to know which coins are silver, if any, also wanted to know the country of each coin. The two copper coins at the bottom might be from greece. When I was 6 my friend went to greece and brought me back those 2 coins.

Unkowncoins2.jpg

UnknownCoins1.jpg

Off the top of my head, the two copper coins are from Greece. The three 2 franc coins are from Switzerland, and none of them are silver. The Olympic coin is from Korea? I think. It may be silver, but I don't have my Krause right now.

The South Korean 5,000 won appears to be KM#54, 16.81g of sterling silver (1/2-ounce ASW). Business strike (mintage 117,500) is listed at $7.50 XF, $12.50 Unc, and $20 BU in the 2008 Krause. The proof (mintage 227,500) is listed at $22.50. From the washed out picture I wouldn't even try to guess grade or quality.

The South Korean 5,000 won appears to be KM#54, 16.81g of sterling silver (1/2-ounce ASW). Business strike (mintage 117,500) is listed at $7.50 XF, $12.50 Unc, and $20 BU in the 2008 Krause. The proof (mintage 227,500) is listed at $22.50. From the washed out picture I wouldn't even try to guess grade or quality.

Thanks satootoko, for the help!

I got it as a birthday gift in 4th grade, one of the kids gave it to me.

When you say sterling silver do you mean silver which has some copper in it?

(i.e sterling)

Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. The minimum millesimal fineness is 925.

Thanks physics-fan3.14

Do you happen to know if the greece coins pictured (circa 1970's) are still used as currency in greece?

Greece switched to the Euro in 2002

Also, that is an "old style" 2 Drachma coin. The design and size changed in 90's (don't remember when exactly)

When Greece pegged it's currency to the Euro (as part of the requirements for the adoption of the Euro), the exchange rate was set to 340.75 Drachmas per Euro.

Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. The minimum millesimal fineness is 925.

Just as a note, US silver coins are 90% silver, with 10% other stuff, usually copper which occurs naturally with silver and is sometimes hard to separate fully. Leaving the copper in there also increases the durability of the coin. This is good for coins which intended to circulate, but bullion coins need to be much purer. Bullion needs to be as pure as possible because that added 10% is not necessary and increases storage costs. So the eagles, buffaloes, maple leaves, krugerrands and such all strive to have the highest purity possible. Thought you might like to know.