• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1800 Draped Bust Dollar...

24 posts in this topic

That's what I thought. Okay, it's being sold on the French Ebay site. The coin has a NGC slab around it with the serial number being 3060721-0031. The Ebay auction number is 110209122409 (I do not know if the numbers differ between US and France). The seller is a US Ebay seller with a whopping feedback of 3. He just started on Ebay on 8 November of this year. His Ebay name is watson666-2007. I hope you guys nail the crooked sob.

That is a REALLY BAD counterfeit. The piece is not even close.

The die work would be OK for one of those plastic disks they pay you for getting 200 points in a Skee Ball game. But otherwise it's a total piece of junk.

Notice the two sets of pics: One set shows the coin in a stapled 2X2 holder and the other pic shows the coin in a slab.

Plus the guy writes English like he's Chinese.

It's an obvious fake and even the image that supposedly shows the piece in an NGC holder is simply the piece cropped and dropped onto an NGC background.

Check out this listing from the same person. Look at the "slab" without a label. It looks like an NGC slab or an old ANACS slab.

NGC type shell. You can see that it has a ribbed edge, ANACS shells have a smooth edge. And as has been pointed out the NGC slab in the 1800 dollar auction is also a fake.

Yesd, it is immediately apparant from the photo that the image was pasted into an image of a holder. Look at the resolution of the coin vs the holder as well as the edge of the coin.

50418-1800.jpg.8ac6e0b935b9abd28bc3852ce4fa5bcf.jpg

I received a nice email from one of the bidders, "brewgirl", thanking me for the heads-up. I directed her to this thread, so that she could read the whole story, and see for herself the kind of people who post here. (thumbs u

PS Looks like someone else is now the high bidder for the "gold" token. Think I should email him?

Yesd, it is immediately apparant from the photo that the image was pasted into an image of a holder. Look at the resolution of the coin vs the holder as well as the edge of the coin.

But the label is also a fake. It's not a genuine NGC label either.

But the label is also a fake. It's not a genuine NGC label either.

No buts about it. The label is fake. I thought it would be interesting, especially since the auction is ended and may go off display, to preserve the image and also point out the obvious problems with how the coin interacted with the holder. A useful thing to see, especially as someone could use a REAL holder's image to paste a coin into.

Notice the two sets of pics: One set shows the coin in a stapled 2X2 holder and the other pic shows the coin in a slab.

ah-so :grin:

Vic, you're not prejudiced against the Chinese are you??? :o

:devil: