• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New holder for ANACS

12 posts in this topic

Just started the threads and I apologize if htis subject has alreadt started.I was watching T.V. last night and during Intermission I was flipping channels.

I found one called "Coin collector" and was curious.I did not spend much time as I only went back during advertising on the other channel.

All of the coins featured were in a new type ANACS holder as follows:

1. The holder has the same geometrical shape as the NGC holder.

2.The labels on the Obverse are all color coded.

3. All the Gold coins such as the American Gold Eagle and the Prez coins have a Gold Label.

4. The American Silver Eagle has a grayish type label.

5. The Platinum Silver Eagle has a silver type color.

All of the coins I saw were " 2008 First day of issue".

1. The Gold Silver Eagle had Certificate #005 OF 57

2. The SIlver Eagle had #008 of 7468.

3. The labels also had in the background a larger 2008.

Since these coins were First day of issue then it would be possible for them no matter how one felt about the First day of issue label to label them #001 0f #.....

as it is a one time thing.

This doesn't sound like a good start for the new new new ANACS. It sounds like gimickry and gadgetry to me. Why not do one thing and do it well, such as grading coins? OK, throw attributing into the mix as well.

This doesn't sound like a good start for the new new new ANACS. It sounds like gimickry and gadgetry to me. Why not do one thing and do it well, such as grading coins? OK, throw attributing into the mix as well.

I agree. This First Day of Issue approach, color coded, etc., are a few of the things that gives coin collecting a bad name. It would be nice if ANACS simply focused on good grading.

Couldn't tell you. I probably watched it for a total of 20 minutes in between advertising on the other channel.

One coin was a 2008 A.S.E MS70 with a First day of issue label and a $99.95 price tag.

I have seen this program before and it was exclusively ICG so I don't know if this means anything. I have no idea og the grading standards as this was on T.V. and the coin could not be in hand.

The Reverse of the labels were a blue geometric figure with ANACS inside. I personally liked the new shape of the holder.

In spite of the reported shake-up at ANACS somebody had to be re-tooling for the new Holder as well as printing the labels and grading them.The movement from Texas to Colorado supposedly happen on the 26th.

The total number on the A.S.E for them was 7428 and given the Gold and Platinum and the Prez dollars there had to be over 10,000 coins graded for this program on the 31st.

Originally Posted By: CHABSENTIA

I started another Topic as I noticed it when I was watching T.V. last night. ANACS has a new type holder that is colr coded.

As for the wrap around I appreciate the input. Just never noticed one before.

I also noticed that JP Martin was there and they mention Michael Fahey as some of the finalizer graders of the ANACS coins. Thought these guys worked for ICG. I smell a deal.

There does seem to be a lot of coincidences such as past associations with Amos Press which has the Coin World Trends.The move from Texas of ANACS to within 4.9 miles of ICG in Colorado.

The appearance on " Coin Collector" last night of the new ANACS holders which seem to be the exclusive TPG on there where before it was almost exclusively ICG.

If Fahey and Martin were on there and they have a past association with ICG then I would say that there are just too many coincidences to think there is no deal.

According to the original post on here ANACS fired all graders and support staff and moved to Colorado from Texas on the 26th of December and on the 31st of December it appears that a minimum of 10,000 coins appear in New ANACS Holders.I don't think all these were a result of the " Tooth Fairy".They were produced somewhere ahead of time.

Soon after this all went down, I was talking to a friend of mine. My theory is that ICG and ANACS will merge. ANACS will grade U.S. and modern foreign coins, and ICG will move exclusively to ancients, tokens, and the oddball stuff. I think ICG will get out of grading U.S. coins altogether. Let's face it, they botched up their reputation with all the "69" and "70" grades they handed out.

This is totally a guess on my part.

Hmm... a holder with a special label with a special designation of "First Day" on it. Sounds interesting. But do you think this "gimickry" will catch on?

article1_lg.jpg

:devil:

Scott :hi:

Hard to say. I only watched a total of about 20 minutes whic was long enough to see that the color of the label seemed as close as possible to the color of the coin such as Gold for Gold American Eagles and Prez. Could have been yellow but appeared gold to me.

I did like the new shape of the slab which looks the same as the NGC slab.T would guess that the color coding would be the same in the future even though I only saw "First day of Issue".Will there be a copper color for copper coins?

Hard to say how much is gadgetry or whether the idea was to be able to catlogue the coins and keep the gold coins etc together.. The ANACS is on the reverse of the Label.

The purchase of ANACS has been in the works for 6 weeks, enough time to have new holders made. And they didn't have to have 10,000 made up in just the past few days, just a couple for the TV program. The others can be being holdered while we speak.

Special labels for the First Stirke, First day, early release, whatever they want to call them, has been a normal feature from ANACS for the past three years. Doing it again for 2008 doesn't really mean anything. If the holder has actually been changed in shape though I would like to see them. Which program was this and do they have a website?

I checked Home Shopping Network and the 2008 first day of issue ANACS slabs that they show are still in the same type of holder that they started using in September. They do use different colors on the labels, first link is silver eagle second is gold eagle.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/zoom_viewer.aspx?main_img=306371&webp_id=4080481

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/zoom_viewer.aspx?main_img=306401&webp_id=4080491

QVC has nothing

Shop at Home does have 2008 silver eagles but not in slabs and the only ANACS slabbed silver eagle I saw was a 2005 first day of issue slab.

I recorded it last night so I could get the info in my own time and watched some this morning. It is HSN.

They also explained the FIrst day issue of 7498 coins with the label such as Cert# 005 out of 7498. ANACS bought 250,000 2008 Silver Eagles from the Mint and will eventually grade 7498 MS 70 Silver Eagles and stop so apparently they have not graded all 7498 at this time. The guy on HSN then said that htis will then constitute a Limited edition of the MS70 grade . A.S.E. for ANACS.

He also said that while they had exclusively had ICG previously that HSN would be the only program to have ANACS exclusively and that from time to time they would also feature ICG.

Perhaps James is correct and ANACS will be U.S. Coins and ICG will be the Ancients etc.