• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed attributing a two cent piece.

7 posts in this topic

If you look at the reverse, you'll notice the missing "D" in United. There is also a nice cud on the obverse rim. "States" is fully shadowed, and I'm not sure what to make of the pictured "M". Looking at the Longacre attribution guide, the closest I can come is 19S. Does this make sense? The light die cracks are only visible under heavy magnification. Thanks in advance for any help.

2-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

2-4.jpg

2-5.jpg

I think you may have a 19R, as opposed to a 19s. Check the die crack through the TES. In the 9s, the crack looks to head towards the rim after passing through the top of the E, as opposed to your pic, which shows the crack running into the S.

I obviously can't see enough detail in the coin to tell for sure, but you may want to double check the die crack placements again, and not rely on the cud.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one interested in 1864 lg. motto die varieties laugh.gif

Thank's Bigd5. I saw the markers, but don't have the guide, so I was relying on a text description. You are right. The crack travels into the S. I'm still trying to figure out the "M". wink.gif

Don

I know next to nothing about 2 centers, but the quality control at the mint in the years 1864 & 1865 left a lot to be desired. I own 3 clashed die IHC's from those years and see another one is up for sale on Ebay. I think you could do a collection of nothing but mint screw ups for those two years, especially on copper coins.

That is a really interesting two center.

I didn't recall any mention of something "up" with the M on the two cent piece for that variety.

What does your gut tell you is going on with it?

Bigd5,

What it looks like to me is a worn die that was repunched with an M with a different serif. I could be totally off base, but that's what it looks like. I'd guess it was punched to increase die life. As you can see from the shallow "D", the die likely needed some refreshing. I'm relatively new to this denomination, but it looks like the dies were well used. It was during the war. wink.gif