• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruined Numistimatic Value But Beautiful Art

8 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Board Members,

I was wondering if anybody could give a value on these, I know possibly they were made at the Pan Pacific Exposition 1900 this information I attained was through my father who was in the Coin Business for forty years but other then that I'm not sure and was trying to establish a value for them as I need some money for medical expenses. The pictures I hope are good enough as I hurriedly took them. There is two pictures one at an angle and one straight down. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thank You,

nanoc

Todd

DSCF1482.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

From Tokens and Medals by Alpert/Elman:"The first such pieces were made in the late 19th - early 20th century by a jeweler in San Francisco, who pushed out Liberty heads on Morgan dollars, and Barber halves, quarters, and dimes. On the reverse he added a bar with his patent date. Some similar Liberty head push-outs were made in France about the same time, using Barber halves and quarters."

Values given range from $4 to $50, but these prices are woefully out of date.

Hope that is of some help. :)

Hello Just Bob,

I want to Thank You for responding, the Barber Quarter does have the Bar with the Description:

Pat NOV 99 YD

If you were to sell them what would you ask for the lot of them?

I scanned them this time just to have another perspective of them.

ArtDeccoCoinwithpat.jpg

ArtDeccoCoins.jpg

ArtDeccoCoins001.jpg

Thank You Again,

nonoc

Todd

They are very cool, but they are also not that unusual. Barber coinage is typically found in the push-out style, but Morgan and Peace dollars as well as Standing Liberty quarters and even Kennedy halves can be found with this alteration. I am a long-time collector of the Barber series and I have noticed that the half dollars sell for the most and go anywhere from $40 to $90 per coin depending on how well the push-out was made, the date of the host coin and if the coin has been polished or not. You would likely do best selling them on ebay as single lots.

From Tokens and Medals by Alpert/Elman:"The first such pieces were made in the late 19th - early 20th century by a jeweler in San Francisco, who pushed out Liberty heads on Morgan dollars, and Barber halves, quarters, and dimes. On the reverse he added a bar with his patent date. Some similar Liberty head push-outs were made in France about the same time, using Barber halves and quarters."

Values given range from $4 to $50, but these prices are woefully out of date.

Hope that is of some help. :)

\

$4 to $50 is too low a range for the particular pushouts shown here. I've seen these sell for well over $50 each, depending on quality. I once saw a vintage bracelet with six pushouts sell for close to $1000.