• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early dollar books

8 posts in this topic

The JRCS website probably has some good recommendations, but, as long as you're asking. . .

There's the Big Kahuna - Bowers' Silver Dollar Encyclopedia. The early dollars are in volume I. (I have it and it's a really great book!)

There's also a book by Jules Reiver about early dollars. (I've never looked through it, so I don't know how well regarded it is.)

Reiver is basicly a redo of the Bolander (sp) book it is a little more up to date but that's it. I would recommend it for someone interested in the dollar varieties, it is easy to use and has good clear photography.

Reiver is basicly a redo of the Bolander (sp) book it is a little more up to date but that's it. I would recommend it for someone interested in the dollar varieties, it is easy to use and has good clear photography.

And the Reiver book is CHEEP I sold the last copy of Bowers to volume set that I had for $450, and these was the soft cover version. :o

And no, I only made 10% on the sale, so please don't call me a pig.

And the Reiver book is CHEEP I sold the last copy of Bowers to volume set that I had for $450, and these was the soft cover version. :o

And no, I only made 10% on the sale, so please don't call me a pig.

A third vote for the Reiver book. Easy to use and available. However, some of the rarity ratings are off, and a very few die states are missing from certain die marriages. That said, it is THE place to start for attributing any bust dollar.

Winston, "The U.S. Early Silver Dollars 1794-1803" by Jules Reiver is full of information not readily available on this series of coins. Its small but packed full of info. Amazon currently offers several new copies starting below $13. Good luck and great reading.

Amazon

go to cardinals early dollar website they got a no brainer insufficiently_thoughtful_persons guide to attributing varities for the daddy dollars

step by step and by the last step it gives your attribution of your daddy dollar

(worship)