• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion needed on this 1870 Shield

18 posts in this topic

I don't understand why it would only be wiped on one side. And I'm not sure if that's a die crack or a large scratch going across the top of the Reverse!!

I tend to agree with you here Bruce but I still don't like what looks like a scrach on the Rev. top. Of course, it maybe a clash mark also??

What you are seeing are common die cracks.

The strike is average for dies from this hub pairing (B:IIc), with the obverse being a tad weak in the upper chief and lower frame of the shield, and the reverse looking good. You could find a better strike without too much difficulty. The streaking that you see is typical and usually looks worse in photographs than in hand; and, while I don't think the coin has been cleaned, it has likely been dipped. For better or for worse, almost all uncirculated shields have met that fate. Bruce is right that the lines on the reverse are almost certainly die polish, and the "scratch" on the obverse is a die crack.

All in all, I think that folks are being a bit rough on the coin. Judging by the photo, I would expect a 64 from either NGC or PCGS.

The coin looks like a 64, with typical striations on the reverse. However, the light toning looks to be the result of dip that was not properly rinsed or neutralized, resulting in what NGC sometimes calls "dip residue". This coin looks like it could be remedied by NCS.

BTW, I asked Dena to remove the reference to "Former NGC Grading Finalizer" as it has been over 3 years since I held that position. But.... "Collectinator"?????

What the heck is that?

John

BTW, I asked Dena to remove the reference to "Former NGC Grading Finalizer" as it has been over 3 years since I held that position. But.... "Collectinator"?????

What the heck is that?

John

That's one of the titles automatically assigned based on post count. We mostly just ignore them.

I have been looking at the other coins for sale by this dealer and they all look to be from NNC and overgraded. Some of the coins appear nice but I am afraid some people will bid based on the grade on the label.

Just my opinion.

I tend to agree with you here Bruce but I still don't like what looks like a scrach on the Rev. top. Of course, it maybe a clash mark also??

bsshog,

I only own a few of these coins and they have LOTS and LOTS of die cracks.

It freaked me out when I received my first "supposed" MS shield 5 cent piece, I was ready and willing to send it back until I looked deeper into the series.

Ray

bsshog,

I only own a few of these coins and they have LOTS and LOTS of die cracks.

It freaked me out when I received my first "supposed" MS shield 5 cent piece, I was ready and willing to send it back until I looked deeper into the series.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I think the pic just threw me off a little. It looked more like a gouge in some areas than it did a die crack. I don't collect this type but it looks like a nice coin to me!

Well, I bit the bullet and won this item. I will try to take better photo's when I get the coin and hope that I am not going to be disappointed.