• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

altererd surface coin

3 posts in this topic

Hi I attended a show and at the NGC booth i submitted a coin for encapsulation, which the agent said was fine, it came back a no-grade due to altered surfaces, my guess is that someone put something on the coin to make the cameo appearance stand out. it is a morgan dollar with PL fields. Is it possible to conserve a coin with altered surface to be graded by NGC or am i destined to NCS details grading? what procedure should i follow (Submit the coin or call customer service?) thanks,,,

rt99

ps I was annoyed that the agent took the coin and my money and saifd it could be graded then returned the coin without the fee, but that's another matter i need to take up with NGC.

It might be possible to conserve this coin and have it gradeable by NGC. If it is an issue of a residue added to the surface of the coin to give the false appearance of a cameo, this could likely be removed and assuming there are not other surface problems, this should grade with NGC. If the surface has been damaged to create that look, there likely is nothing conservation would be able to do to make the coin grade with NGC and the best NCS would be able to do is encapsulate your coin in an Details Grade holder.

I do have to defend the representitive you talked to at the show. The lighting in a convention center is less than ideal. Even with the small table lamps, the ideal kind of lighting for looking at coins, the ambient convention hall light can make certain things deceptive. When I am at a show I try to give this disclaimer to any numismatist who has a coin to show me but I know not everyone receives it.

Chris, NCS

rt99

This is not the first time this has happened to NGC submissions at shows. I was told the same thing by Brian Silliman and he is supposed to be the altered surface and counterfiet detection expert according to the articles in the Numismatist.

These lights that are used are adequate to determine a coins condition, So this idea that something was found back in Sarasota or in the room used to do 24 Hr turn around show grading sounds fishy to me. Are the lights better in some other room at the show? If so then why don't you bring those lights on to the Bourse floor. No its it my opinion that its NGC's policy that is flawed.

The word is getting around that NGC is getting 'gun shy' on grading if something doesn't look right. Now how is a collector supposed to know what is genuine and what has been altered if it takes that much effort and special lighting conditions to determine. No it doesn't seem reasonable unless NGC wants a submitter to commit to grading only to find that his investment is now worth less because of the 'no grade' policy and then pocket the grading fees.