• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will these sleepers ever wake up?

14 posts in this topic

I don't pretend to be an expert on these series (I do know Two Cent Pieces fairly well) but I get the impression that they have been asleep for a long time compared to more widely collected or periodically “hot” issues. Do any of you have opinions on the possibility that these coins may catch on enough to become “hot” as a series some day? Please add your own sleepers to the list.

Half Cents

Two Cent Pieces (one of my favorite series)

Three Cent Silver

Three Cent Nickel

Shield Nickels

Barber Dimes

Twenty Cent Pieces (I've always liked these guys)

I don't pretend to be an expert on these series (I do know Two Cent Pieces fairly well) but I get the impression that they have been asleep for a long time compared to more widely collected or periodically “hot” issues. Do any of you have opinions on the possibility that these coins may catch on enough to become “hot” as a series some day? Please add your own sleepers to the list.

Half Cents

Two Cent Pieces (one of my favorite series)

Three Cent Silver

Three Cent Nickel

Shield Nickels

Barber Dimes

Twenty Cent Pieces (I've always liked these guys)

Honest Opinion is if a series hasn't woken up at this point during this bull cycle, Its probably not going to. I think we are in a down trend from this point forward. However, if I had to cast a vote for any of the above, I would go with the twenty cent pieces.

If the twenty cent series 'wakes up' any more than it is, I will never be able to afford a premium grade. Hope it stays were it is or maybe goes into a coma!

Your list is mainly comprised of the so-called "odd denominations." These have always been unpopular, ever since they were first minted. They are seen as curios, people get one for their type set but few people really like them and collect them. I don't think they will ever be popular, and have a feeling that they are about as hot right now as they will ever be.

I feel the Two Cent has the best chance. The size and that it's a short series can't hurt.

The Twenty Cent is probably my second vote but a really nice one seems to already be hot.

:)

I have to agree with James about the Half Cents. I don't see them as sleepers. I think they have a strong collector base, and will steadily increase in value. However, they have less of a collector base than some other series, and as such, can be more affordable. Only catch is....try to find really nice copper....

I always liked Barber Dimes, and they are inexpensive in AU grades.

Shield Nickels have a small group of very serious collectors. Perhaps a new book on varieties will bring the Shields into regular news.

I never had much interest in any of the others mentioned at the start of this thread. Doubt any of them will all of a sudden show up with lots of collector attention.

Sleepers are sleepers for a reason...

While their popularity will likely fluctuate slightly over time, for instance with the release of a book or a well-managed promotion, I find it more likely that they will revert back to the mean.

That doesn't make them any less cool or any less fun to collect, but they are what they are.

All IMHO & respectfully submitted...Mike

p.s. I agree with others that half cents are not sleepers.

Half Cents - Maybe you think they are sleepers among casual collectors, but those who have ever tried tried to collect them by die variety will tell a different story. Also, how many circulated half cents do you see at the average local or even regional coin show these days? Not very many. The mintage for the ENTIRE series was just 8.5 million coins. Most of the survivors are in collections.

Two Cents - Nice coins, but the 1872 and to very large extent the 1873 discourages casual collectors from starting a set. They see that because of the price, they will never complete the set. Also this coin is VERY SCARCE in EF condition, which makes it hard to put together an "economy set" of nice pieces.

Silver Three Cent - These coins are very small, which discourages some people from the the get-go. Add to that the rarity of all the dates from 1863 to 1873 and most collectors are going to pass.

Three Cent Nickel, Shield Nickel and Barber Dimes - Dull designs here. I've never had any fire in my belly to go beyond the type coins.

Twenty Cents - These coins do have a following, but you just don't see any of them available on a regular basis except the 1875-S. If these coins were to become popular, the prices would go into orbit. And yes once again you have the problem with the 1877 and '78, which are beyond the reach of most collectors.

Just one note to add, I think the 20c pieces are extremely popular with collectors. When the normal 1875-s comes on the market and that is pretty frequent they immediately sell. And when the rare 1875-cc appear they are gone in a blink of the eye. The proofs sells strong, in fact I could go on and on they are all strong sellers, and their prices are rising as we speak. Maybe you are reading old stories about the weak demand for these but I have found the opposite.

How many collectors do you need to make a coin popular?

When one coin of a series is impossible to obtain the collector simply collects the rest imho, heck thats what I do, and then if I win the lottery I buy the unobtainable coin.

I believe half cents and 20cers are not sleepers. Example check out the rise in price in the 1875-cc.

OK, I've been enlightened, thanks. I sold my last 20¢ several years ago, it was a NGC graded, nicely toned PR-63 CAM. I wasn't able to get much for it even though it had a lot of eye appeal - there didn't seem to be much interest. I had a similar result with a nice AU a few months earlier. Maybe that was a couple of atypical anecdotal experiences or a brief lull in the market? Other series like IHCs, Flyers and even proof 2¢ sold quickly at firm prices (the MS 2¢s were asleep then also, except for a 1872). Anyway, I appreciate the insights.