• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you think of three cent silvers?

19 posts in this topic

trimes or as they were called years ago fish scales

are you thinking of buying one for a type coin? or are thinking of putting together a set or one of each of the three types?

or just a nice proof coin? or?????

what do you think of one of the smallest coins minted by the federal government?

michael

277247-1858trime.jpg.8dc8ce550314d119a2462e094917cfb2.jpg

I'm always drawn to 3csilvers. I would never have the desire to do a date set, or even a different type set within the series, but I usually have one in my set, and would consider myself a closet 3 cent silver admirer smile.gif

Yours is beautiful. I owned a Benson proof example for a while, and another toned proof, but since I don't have much loyalty to the coin, they always end up getting sold to fund a different purchase. My favorite that was in my set the longest was a pcgs ms/64 1862/1. A dealer finally pried it away from me for his own personal set. It had awesome surfaces for a 4, with some pretty rim toning from an album.

I love them. I think, when beautifully toned, they are very impressive...but you need a microscope to see them. Especially as I get older, it's an eye strain. So, I don't have any, don't collect them...don't like much looking through a magnifying glass. If I did get one, would prefer it in an ANACS holder. The NGC/PCGS holders are just way too big. Un-holdered, I'd probably drop it on the floor and it would be like searching for a contact lens. . .

That's a beautiful coin, Michael. smile.gif Two three-cent silvers currently occupy spaces in my collection and I would be happy to welcome additional, little friends if they had the type of eye appeal of the nice piece you posted. They are a largely ignored series of fairly tough coins that can be very attractive when original.

Beautiful coin Michael. My friend has an 1863 pf 66 cam- The only one graded by PCGS- that I am trying to acquire. I should(hopefully) get it in the next few weeks. I'll post a pic then.

These coins really are rare in high MS or PF but the prices are not. I don't know if demand will ever pick up for them, but I think they are a steal if you can find them.

I collect them, when I can find the dates that I need. I have not found or entered any new dates since April. The few coins that I have seen were way out of my budget range (I buy most in MS64).

278239-1860Trime.jpg.fa5b06ca49e714690aad3e0a85c0fa80.jpg

chinook you sum things up really very well!

for me they are undervalued and like you say really rare in higher grade ms and proof but i guess it is a demand issue with thses small coins

but you get one looking like i posted and with a type two in a real gem unc plus and with this toning and eye appeal even though a small coin and your eye site might now be too good it still blows you away in person!

just do not lose it by dropping it raw on the floor lol

well then that is better for all the rest out there as there is then one fewer of only a handful looking like this 27_laughing.gif

type two trimes in gem looking like the coin i posted are one of the most undervalued coins in this series

the proofs might not be as rare especially so the type three but man they are still scarce and undervalued and they make up for it with the mirrors and flash enherent in proofs

so i guess it is 6 of one half a dozen of another

a series where all it has to do is for demand to pickup a little for type lets say and they will jump in price! as for me they are at close to the bottom for demand

i guess only time will tell

in the last american numismatic rarities auction the ANR auctions i think the new auction house from the older B and M crew they had a similar toned trime that was similar to the one i posted in looks not as good as the above and they called this look really rare and exceptional

but again demand is not there as it is for other series so you got really uncommon coins with great looks going for undervalued and sleeper prices

again i guess only time will tell

michael

David Lawrence has a white MS67, Type II (1858) for $13,000. They had another nicely toned MS67 about a month ago. Yours is really nicely toned Michael. This is one series that has some really beautiful toned coins.

Three cent silvers are my favorite series of coins. I don't mind the small size and really like the design. Also, as has been mentioned, you can find some exceptional toning on some of them. It still blows me away that the prices are so low for these coins compared to their absolute rarity/small mintages. Hope it stays that way until I can get all I need.

1872PR64 CAM (2).jpg

Great little coins! I like those that are toned but the white coins do little for me in terms of eye appeal. Yet, being silver, there are definitely some killer toned beasties out there!

Fish scales... I'll bet a lot were lost during their time of circulation. I've wondered this as well about the $1 gold and California fractional gold!

Hoot

After the last issue of the Silver 3 cent, in addition to probably many being just lost (as you said Hoot), the US Mint melted all of the issue that they still held (in 1874). Many sources quote the Type II coins as being the most scarce. However, in reality Type III coins, particularly those graded above MS62 and dated after the 1862/1, are more scarce than Type II coins.

Thought I'd throw a picture of another coin here. This is from the Benson sale, which had some of the most amazingly toned trimes. Also, for those with big budgets, Stacks is auctioning a proof 1851-o on October 15. Only a couple (possibly only one) of these is known to exist.

s_029430.jpgs_029430n2.jpg