• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Holidays: Blood Bath at ANACS

86 posts in this topic

Here is his post:

As many of you are aware I have been quiet up until now. I have been hounded via e-mail, pm and phone who I work for.....what happened.... etc. Thank you for the well wishes from some and questions from others but I wont get into the middle of this whole thing. I just want to simply state and get rid of speculation, heresay and rumor: I work for ICG. I am a ICG coin grader and love my job. Please leave it at that for now.

Cameron Kiefer

I called ICG about error attribution and grading. I was told that this service continues and that I should send the coins through CONECA as per the instructions on their website and the CONECA website. Then I asked about the graders. The person I spoke with (sorry, I forgot her name) would not divulge the names. However, I ask to confirm names I gave her. She confirmed that Larry Wilson, Cameron Kiefer, and Sue Berg were still with ICG. Those were the only names I remembered. After looking at the ICG website, it looks like I forgot about Walt Armitage.

I wish this would settle down. I would like to have some errors attributed and graded but I am worried about my coins being "lost" in the shuffle. I know ICG said that would not happen, but I do worry about these risks (which is a great attribute for information security and not for trusting people).

Scott :insane:

Then I asked about the graders. The person I spoke with (sorry, I forgot her name) would not divulge the names. However, I ask to confirm names I gave her. She confirmed that Larry Wilson, Cameron Kiefer, and Sue Berg were still with ICG. Those were the only names I remembered. After looking at the ICG website, it looks like I forgot about Walt Armitage.

Interesting that they are still there. I thought that Larry & Sue were modern only graders. Cameron is a very fine grader who can do most US. I think there have been more sightings of Bigfoot than Walt at the ICG building. I wonder what happens if an expensive coin or non-US coin come thru, who authenticates it right now? Are any of the ex-ANACS graders currently employed with ICG?

If this information has been posted in another thread, my apologies. I just got home and another Coin World was in my mail box, dated January 14th. The cover page has two main articles. "ANACS has new owner, moving to Colorado" and "Despite staff departure, ICG to reopen Jan. 3". Two very interesting articles. The one confirms that "The entire ICG staff will be joining ANACS." and the other indicates that James Taylor and J.P Martin have been notified about potential litigation stemming from their departures and ramifications of "non-compete" provisions in their employment contracts.

This should be interesting going forward.

Rey

I know that as a rule Contracts can have a non compete clase where say somebody sells a chain of Mom and Pop stores to say Walmart.

The sellers agrre that they will not start any such stores or similar stores for a certain period of time. I don't know about graders but in most cases Employees do not have this clause. When I was a Manager in Retail I and other Managers woulod get offers all the time especially when Walmart, Target and Walgreen moved into the area.

When I became a Manager I had to sign a non frat clause that I could be subject to Firing or a restriction of Bonus etc. if I fooled around with the help .

I suppose there might be a situation where somebody that was considered a key employee might have to sign such a clause but I don't know if this would be the case with Graders.

As a Manager if I went from Walmart to say Target then I would be one of many Managers in all the stores across the U,S, etc. I am no direct threat to Walmart upon leaving them.

There might be a case made where a TPG is in the top three or four and they only have one location where they work so leaving from one to the other would necessitate signing a non competition clause.

I don't know if this would be Legal or not since it would be restricting an Employees movement and the ability to work and all it entails.

First of all, it would depend if any of them signed such a clause.If they didn't then this would be moot.

If they did sign such a clause then I would think it could be challenged in Court as to whether or not the graders leaving by their leaving caused an Economic hardship for the Company.

It seems plausible that they did not sign such a clause or if they did ANACS has agreed to provide Legal support.

I am sitting here at my Home and writing on my Laptop and it is 6:30 PM EST Thursday night and the phone rings and my wife answers it and hands it to me.

Somebody named Kevin is calling me form ANACS to inform me that my Coin has arrived at ANACS.

I told him that I had Delivery confirmation on it and that it had arrived/delivered in Ausin on the 24th and he said that it was possible as he had just received it so I don't know if the people in Colorado had just received it or the graders.

He said they were calling everybody to inform them.

I am sitting here at my Home and writing on my Laptop and it is 6:30 PM EST Thursday night and the phone rings and my wife answers it and hands it to me.

Somebody named Kevin is calling me form ANACS to inform me that my Coin has arrived at ANACS.

I told him that I had Delivery confirmation on it and that it had arrived/delivered in Ausin on the 24th and he said that it was possible as he had just received it so I don't know if the people in Colorado had just received it or the graders.

He said they were calling everybody to inform them.

Thats pretty cool.. hm

I read somewhere that they did have non-compete clauses, but that those clauses expired a long time ago.

That isn't likely with Taylor or Martin, neither one had been with ICG that long. I could very easily see them having noncompete clauses in their contracts.

Looks like the new ICG team is now listed there. I swear these names looked like ANACS graders a couple days ago. ;)

And Sue Berg has left ICG. No word on whether she has gone to ANACS.

The latest edition of Coin World states that three individuals had Contracts with ICG that included three year non compete clauses and are Taylor,Martin and Keith Love. These were signed in February of 2003 so these would be finished by now.

The problem seems to be in an additional covenant that impose a three ear ban upon separation from ICG so Love who left on January 31,2007 would have a ban that did not expire until Jan 31st 2010 and the other two would be later.

I am not a Lawyer but I would think that the Lawsuit by ICG would ultimately rest on the various State Laws because the initial three year non compete clause is actually extended to six years. If one of the three would have left the next month after signing in 2003 then their contract would have expired.

In the case of Love who left in 2007 almost four years later he has an additional three years or a total of almost 7 years.

Here is what I think is the gray area and would depend on interpretation and State laws which govern Contracts. Love and the other two believe that they have fulfilled their three year Contract signed in 2003 as they did not compete with ICG during that period and that the covenant imposes an additional three years ot a total of six years if they faithfully perform for three years as required by their signing of the Contract in 2003.

JP had been with ICG for several years. I think since 2003.

JP left the ANA in 1998 and has worked at ICG from then till December 2007.

Cameron Kiefer

Cammie!!!!! :hi:

Sup dude???

Hope the stress of all the extra going on with the job dosn't get to you.

Cammie!!!!! :hi:

Sup dude???

Hope the stress of all the extra going on with the job dosn't get to you.

sUP DUDE! The stress is ok. I have a job and I love it. ICG is doing good and will be getting tons of coins out this next week. We have staff, graders and lots of submissions so I'm not that stressed.

Cameron Kiefer

Cameron, what is your official capacity with ICG?

I am still a ICG Coin Grader. Still the same job as before but maybe some more responsibility.

Cameron Kiefer

Tell the truth. You're the ICG Guru™. You're the only person there that knows anything right now. lol

I am still a ICG Coin Grader. Still the same job as before but maybe some more responsibility.

Cameron Kiefer

Glad your doing good (thumbs u

You should come around more often...

It's obvious to me that you got some talents and knowledge.

Does ICG mind you posting over here?

Cameron Kiefer

Tell the truth. You're the ICG Guru™. You're the only person there that knows anything right now. lol

That is true but the new employees are learning the ropes fast. I've helped pick up the mail, teach them how to open the mail, print labels, seal coins, find stuff in the building, the list goes on.

ICG doesnt mind as long as I dont give verbal grading/authentication opinions based on a picture here in the forums

Cameron Kiefer

Cameron Kiefer

That is true but the new employees are learning the ropes fast. I've helped pick up the mail, teach them how to open the mail, print labels, seal coins, find stuff in the building, the list goes on.

ICG doesnt mind as long as I dont give verbal grading/authentication opinions based on a picture here in the forums

Cameron Kiefer

Cameron, you have my respect for your straightforward and professional demeanor during what must be a difficult time. (thumbs u

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to get a few of your verbal grading/authentication opinions based on picture here in the forums..... :devil:

;)

Cameron,

Sorry I won't see you in FL. It has been awhile and we need to catch up. My best wishes to you and (especially) your better half the next few days as an addition arrives in your household.

WH

PS: I think it would be a good idea to change your icon.