• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue chip coins with potential.................

17 posts in this topic

RYK

Dirty Gold Man

Tuesday December 25, 2007 12:41 PM

Various mentors and advisors have used the term "blue chip", in reference to coins that are always popular and in-demand, no matter what the market conditions, and those that seemingly continue to relentlessly rise in price over years, decades, generations, etc.

my listing of a few blue chips WITH POTENTIAL are as follows (with some important caveats)..................please list yours

1---any federal mint small eagle reverse silver coin's from the 18th century

examples include 1794-1795 half dime 1794-1795 half dollar 1795-1797 small eagle draped bust dollar 1795 flowing hair dollar ANY GRADE ANDWAY ANYHOW BUT OF COURSE THE better the eye appeal the better the coin (thumbs u

2---small or large planchet pine tree shilling's :cloud9:

some better examples include any fine or higher grades of large planchet pine trees with the cool backwards N in england and the really underrated choice xf and higher graded small planchet pine tree shillings of course any decent eye appealling pine tree shilling is a blue chip :applause:

3---any fully struck true gem heavy cartwheel lusterous 1857-1858 flying eagle cents :cloud9:

4---gem proof totally original thick skinned strongly cameoed pre 1907 proof gold and the larger the coin the better for example the liberty eagles are the rarest and most underrated of the current proof gold coins

5---any nice original circ. business strike 1836 reeded edge halves

these were struck as so-called hm patterns but released into circulation so there is a controversey as to pattern or regular issue and the mintage is in dispute from the original listing in the red book of 1200 but we know approximately twice this amount was releassed into circulation but be that as it may...... there are about 450-500 surviving examples extant

6---any totally original cased set TONED gem to superb gem proof morgan dollars with great cameo contrast underneath the deep originsl toning......unfortunately with so much dipping going due to the increased demand from beginning collector end user-buyers the dealers dip em and the services reward these coins due to the market acceotable demand BUT THE gem original undipped extreme eye appeal coins will only get better as time goes on

7--- nice circulated eye appealling 1815 capped bust half dollars

8---pre 1807 early gold coinage in decent original eye appealling circ. to unc. grades (worship) with pre 1807 quarter eagles leading the way with huge rarity and extreme opportunity and value as compaired to their pre 1807 eagle and half eagle larger brothers

9---chains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough said

10---quarter and half eagle fat head gold coins

11---non coin but a paul revere designed, engraved and printed colonial state massachusetts sword in hand note of the highest degree and magnitude or rarity and with huge historical perspective AND TOTALLY UNDERRATED AND UNDERVALUED (worship):flamed::golfclap: and highly cross collectible---there are only approximately 600 or so knowna and most all are rag to vg condition and you would not like the overall condition/appeal of what a sword in hand looks like in vg

12---any uncleaned original unc. clark gruber territorial gold coin

13---the list goes on and on

With respect to item #'s 1 and 8 - I like those types as cool coins, but in many instances their prices have appreciated dramatically over the past several years. So, while they might be "blue chips" and they might have been undervalued before they enjoyed large value increases, I have questions about their (short term) potential from current levels.

Edited to add: I believe that it is far easier to critique such a list than it is to come up with one.

Edited to add: I believe that it is far easier to critique such a list than it is to come up with one.

I have to wholeheartedly agree.

Thanks, Michael, for posting this. Your posts are always, invariably, enlightening.

Great post, Mike!

I'd say that 19th century proof cameo types will always be popular and have no where to go but up.

(thumbs u :applause::cloud9: (thumbs u :applause::cloud9:

(thumbs u :applause::cloud9:

(thumbs u :applause::cloud9: (thumbs u :applause::cloud9: (thumbs u :applause::cloud9:

Thanks for the post Michael. (thumbs u Good stuff!

BTW, what are fat head golds? Are those the turbans or what?

I'm just starting an 1858 MS set (no gold). It appears that there are a lot of 1858 FE cents, but I have yet to see one in the grade I want, 64-5, that is appropriately graded and isn't insanely overpriced. I'm in no hurry, one will show up eventually.

thanks guys!!

yes ryk posted a great piece of fat head gold

and as you can see why it is called the fat head (thick neck) gold lol

quarter eagle fat head gold 1821-1834

half eagle fat head gold 1813-1834

pushkin i hope some collectors add to this thread of sleepers

i think for me any nice original choice au to choice unc. classic head gold are totally sleeper especially so the quarter eagles and have yet to see any upward movement and these coins in original choice unc. are really scarce to rare!

I'm just starting an 1858 MS set (no gold). It appears that there are a lot of 1858 FE cents, but I have yet to see one in the grade I want, 64-5, that is appropriately graded and isn't insanely overpriced. I'm in no hurry, one will show up eventually.

your welcome

i have seen many ms65 flyers and i would say more than 50% are overgraded and ugly, weakly struck and little eye appeal

a true flyer 1857 1858 LL 1858 SM in true gem unc. fully struck with great eye appeal full cartwheel and again true gem unc. ms65 a higher end ms65 is at least a $6500.00 coin the problem is there are many in ms 65 holdersa well over 50% that if broken out of their respective holders are around $1500+ coins but in the ms65 holders the sellers want 3000+

and of course a true ms66 is at least a 25k++ coin

the sleeper of the series is the 1858 small letters coin that is much rarer in true gem than the 1858 LL and 1857 and ironically enough the small letters was made later in the year because there was so many striking problems with the 1858 LL and 1857 flyers as the high points of the obverse and reverse dies where opposite each other so in striking the coins there are always weakly struck so layter in 1858 the mint lowered the relief so they would strike up better and the letters are the small letters variety the large letters 1858 the am in america are joined at the bottom the small letters 1858 the am in america are separate

many flyers you see in 64 holders might be ms 65 technically but due to the weak strike only ms64 one of the nystery grades so be careful if some seller tells you oh my this is really an ms65+ in a ms64 holder lol might be technically ms 65 marks wise but if a mushy strike on the eagles breast feathers and wing tips and the wreath details on the reverse are way too mushy pass

i would search out a full details true gem full cartwheel cameo semi-prooflike small letters 100% again full details fully struck coin that has great eye appeal and with lots of looking you might just find one but be prepaired to pay $7500+ for it

your welcome

i have seen many ms65 flyers and i would say more than 50% are overgraded and ugly, weakly struck and little eye appeal

a true flyer 1857 1858 LL 1858 SM in true gem unc. fully struck with great eye appeal full cartwheel and again true gem unc. ms65 a higher end ms65 is at least a $6500.00 coin the problem is there are many in ms 65 holdersa well over 50% that if broken out of their respective holders are around $1500+ coins but in the ms65 holders the sellers want 3000+

and of course a true ms66 is at least a 25k++ coin

the sleeper of the series is the 1858 small letters coin that is much rarer in true gem than the 1858 LL and 1857 and ironically enough the small letters was made later in the year because there was so many striking problems with the 1858 LL and 1857 flyers as the high points of the obverse and reverse dies where opposite each other so in striking the coins there are always weakly struck so layter in 1858 the mint lowered the relief so they would strike up better and the letters are the small letters variety the large letters 1858 the am in america are joined at the bottom the small letters 1858 the am in america are separate

many flyers you see in 64 holders might be ms 65 technically but due to the weak strike only ms64 one of the nystery grades so be careful if some seller tells you oh my this is really an ms65+ in a ms64 holder lol might be technically ms 65 marks wise but if a mushy strike on the eagles breast feathers and wing tips and the wreath details on the reverse are way too mushy pass

i would search out a full details true gem full cartwheel cameo semi-prooflike small letters 100% again full details fully struck coin that has great eye appeal and with lots of looking you might just find one but be prepaired to pay $7500+ for it

Great post on Flyers Michael. I agree with you that there are way too many 64s in 65 plastic. I also believe many Flyers in good plastic have been messed with at one time or another. The real, original Gems are VERY SCARE. There are too many mediocre coins graded 65 in this series IMO. I've seen very few true 66s and they are spectacular.

As for my favorite coins, the Proof Cameo Flyers - not too many of them around. :)

Great post on Flyers Michael. I agree with you that there are way too many 64s in 65 plastic. I also believe many Flyers in good plastic have been messed with at one time or another. The real, original Gems are VERY SCARE. There are too many mediocre coins graded 65 in this series IMO. I've seen very few true 66s and they are spectacular.

As for my favorite coins, the Proof Cameo Flyers - not too many of them around. :)

oh my yes aint that the truth pushkin!! yes :applause: a sweet cameo proof flyer :cloud9: the ultimate 19th century type coin :cloud9: and really rare if the coin has great eye appeal along with correct technical grade, truly a really rare coin as such.