• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The US Mint has indicated that the 50 States Quarter Program will...

7 posts in this topic

be extended to include 6 more designs, to include D.C. and 5 territories as reported in Jan. 7th 2008 issue of CoinWorld. Will you be a collector of this add-on edition ?

What is in store next from the Mint----Maybe the 50 largest cities in the US will be next !!!!

Since I keep up the annual Proof sets, I guess I'll be a collector of these coins too. This should not come as a surprise. There was talk of including the territories in the State Quarter series from the time it started in 1999.

BTW has anyone noticed the melt down in the price for the 1999 silver Proof sets. It got up to as much $350 bid on the Gray Sheet at one point. Now it's down to $240. I predict that it will go lower over the coming years. Out of sight, out of mind is the rule when it comes to Proof set pricing in later years. Some of these sets are almost down to face value.

be extended to include 6 more designs, to include D.C. and 5 territories as reported in Jan. 7th 2008 issue of CoinWorld. Will you be a collector of this add-on edition ?

What is in store next from the Mint----Maybe the 50 largest cities in the US will be next !!!!

To be accurate you should instead ask "What is in store next from Congress" since the Mint does not make these decisions, only Congress.

These might be the most interesting ones since I already know quite a bit about the 50 states. Teaching Americans was the original goal of the program and teaching Americans about its territories is probably a good thing.

Highlighting issues such as the nature of citizenship, representation, commonwealths, coining authority and others are good things IMO.

I'll be collecting the first day covers of these, as well as the annual proof and mint sets. I was hoping to close out the series next year, but I guess an additional year won't hurt too much. Hopefully the boards responsible for final approval of the designs will be a little more creative than the 50 state ones...

Good point Zoins!

I'll collect the potential newbies the same way I collected the other State quarters... out of pocket change.

The State Quarter Program has brought many people into coin collecting since it started. The USmint commercials are all over the TV, bringing more into the hobby on a daily bases. Maybe adding a few more quarters to the list will keep things going. It's always interesting to see the new designs that they come up with and end up picking for the coin.