• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Anthony Dollar First Day of Issue

9 posts in this topic

Several months ago there was a thread here on NGC slabbed 1979 Susan Anthony Dollar First Day of Issue coins. I can't seem to find the thread now.

Does anyone know the criteria NGC uses to slab SBA$ FDOI coins? I know they won't slab the privately cached FDOI Dollars.

Thanks.

If you are referring to the FDOI that came in the sealed envelopes with the postmark on them, they will put them in a sealed holder similiar to the state quarter FDOI series....

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=73

However, I do not think the SBA dollars were ever put in this type of envelope.

And Chris, I think that was "first strike" they stopped using...

MM hm

Correct.When I received my voucher a few months ago with my subscription for NGC I received a complimentary Prez in an NGC Holder marked Forst day of Issue Brillaint uncirculated.

It was the "First Strike " that was changed to Early Release.

I don't know about the Anthony dollars, but there seems to be some confusion over the various designations :

First Strike - Changed to Early Release after the lawsuit. Applies to the Eagles (silver,gold,platinum) that are sent in within 30? days of the Mint's initial shipping date. Pretty meaningless designation, but people will pay a small premium for them.

First Day of Issue - I've only seen these on the Prez bux. Applies to coins issued on the first official day as per the Mint. Another pretty meaningless designation if you ask me.

First Day of Mintage - Available designation for coins from the first day covers for both state quarters and prez bux. These are bonified coins struck on the first day as designated by the US mint. These have to be submitted in the sealed white envelopes as they come from the mint.

This is the type of coin I'm speaking of. I understand that they won't slab the multitude of privately minted FDOI cachets out there, but what criteria do the use for a SBA$ FDOI.

I can't figure out how to add a photo to this post, so here's a link to a completed eBay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-P-SBA-Dollar-NGC-MS66-First-Day-of-Issue-Beauty-NR_W0QQitemZ110206602291QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11982QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem