• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Tease! Lewis and Clark

5 posts in this topic

I got a letter from the US Mint today with it's catalog. Usually I put it aside as junk mail... but this letter was bigger than normal... I had to open it. Along with their catalog was a pretty decent size insert in regards to Lewis and Clark. "It's out!" I said to myself in silent excitement...

I opened up the insert, it showed a map with a bit of history on their expedition... "okay, so where is the information on the coin??" i said to myself again in silent excitement. I looked at the information on the back, the front, nothing?!?!? I opened the catalog, certainly they would have put it in the catalog along with this great insert???? Nada.... Anyone hear anything?

As a collector, I'm excited that I can soon add a new coin/design to my collection but I got to thinking about what kind of value this coin might have.

If the mint had a short 2003 minting of this coin, it would be a key date coin, one that everyone would want to scoop up but if they start in 2004, make millions/billions of them, it probably won't have too much value to it.

My enthusiasm isn't curved though, my Jefferson nickle collection is looking for something shiny and new, and no, my name is not Michael smile.gif

-Dave

Dave

You got my curosity up as well and I began to ponder the same question until, lo and behold, rememebering, ah, there it is! I too, have recently received a big envelope from the US Mint which until now, has remained unopen. I will now open this great thing that lies before me and shalt see what great wonders it must hold! acclaim.gif

Rip, rip........

Leo popcorn.gif

and at the same time, you can learn about their expedition! I actually looked at the map and... well... learned something. I must have missed something when I was in school because I had no idea they went all the way to the west coast, or maybe my memory is just bad.

-Dave

Dave

You got my curosity up as well and I began to ponder the same question until, lo and behold, rememebering, ah, there it is! I too, have recently received a big envelope from the US Mint which until now, has remained unopen. I will now open this great thing that lies before me and shalt see what great wonders it must hold! acclaim.gif

Rip, rip........

Leo popcorn.gif

Nope! Doesn't say diddlily squat about it. More history then I care to read at the moment and there's a big US map with a squiggly red line drawn across it. Nothing in the order catalog either.

The expedition didn't begin until 1804 anyway but yet 2003 is supposed to be the 200th anniversary? I don't get it! I guess we'll have to wait and celibrate it's 201st anniversary instead. 27_laughing.gif

This is why we don't have any 1975 quarters, halves and Ike dollars (and the main reason why they brought back the coin dollar in 1971). Now they won't make the deadline and we'll be without a 2003 new nickel unless they make them in 2004.

And they'll make millions of them! Man, wouldn't that burn everyone's buns! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

popcorn.gif And furthermore, that history brochere the US mint sent out, states the years 2003 to 2006! That's four years to mint the nickels but yet the Lewis and Clark expedition only lasted 2 years and 8 months. Maybe we'll have two nickel types for 2004? 27_laughing.gif How many sellers pushed the 2003 nickels and rolls as type one nickels? 27_laughing.gif

Leo