• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The biggest mystery in today's coin market.

18 posts in this topic

Where the hec are all these coins going??????????? Every major convention, at least $20 million in coin auctions. Maybe $150 million a year. Now the Ford collection, possibly $100 million alone. Where do the coins go???

TRUTH

There must be a larger coin collector, investor base than most would think. I do not think that the pit is bottomless but my worries about the summer ANA auctions proved unfounded (whew!).

The Ford Collection offers multiple examples of many coins that are very scarce to extremely rare. It may be the only available venue of sale for many coins in the collection for years to come.

I have long suspected that a large portion of the very best material is going into collections being formed by very wealthy people who work thru just one major dealer. They never attend shows or auctions as they wish to remain unknown to the public.

There must be a larger coin collector, investor base than most would think.

Across the street, I remember many times that Laura Sperber would try to point out to the membership that the collector base is far larger and far wealthier than they realize. Yet, those folks love to think that the collecting world begins and ends with those who are on the CU message boards. 27_laughing.gif

I honestly think that many of them don't realize that the bulk of the collectors, high-end as well as the modest ones, don't spend much time online.

EVP

You mean, gulp, there's a world OUTSIDE the message boards? Can't be, say it ain't so. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

TRUTH news.gif

I wanted to say in another thread that the number of people that have registry sets don't make a sliver compared to what's out there in the real world. 27_laughing.gif I didn't post it for I thought I would have been flamed for sure. news.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

Now what thread could that have been? 893censored-thumb.gif

Well, this thread started over a year ago. And the coins keep going somewhere!!!!

I think it's great.

Jerry

To the next auction! 27_laughing.gif

You've got that right, Tubby! For the filthy rich, it's probably no more than an investment vehicle. Buy a coin for 100G's and sell it 6 months later for 250G's. Short of loan sharking, where else can you make that kind of profit? Sure, one could play around with real estate but then there is all of the paperwork and public records that come into play.

Chris

Short of loan sharking, where else can you make that kind of profit?

Government contracts...where a fifty cent light bulb can cost $10,000.00 and labor to install it $800.00

Well, this thread started over a year ago. And the coins keep going somewhere!!!!

I think it's great.

Jerry

To the next auction! 27_laughing.gif

You've got that right, Tubby! For the filthy rich, it's probably no more than an investment vehicle. Buy a coin for 100G's and sell it 6 months later for 250G's. Short of loan sharking, where else can you make that kind of profit? Sure, one could play around with real estate but then there is all of the paperwork and public records that come into play.

Chris

Can't agree with you more Chris,unfortunately when you haven't even broken the 10k mark you are much of a player with the big(and very profitable) material.Maybe I should take up idependent contracting for the government! screwy.gif

I do realize that when high grade, scarcer, high end appearance material hits the auction market, it draws super high bids very quickly. There is a venue for this material that seems inexhaustable with very deep pockets. I don't think most of us here are they?

I do realize that when high grade, scarcer, high end appearance material hits the auction market, it draws super high bids very quickly. There is a venue for this material that seems inexhaustable with very deep pockets. I don't think most of us here are they?

Well Tradedollarnut does visit occasionally,but that's about it for these boards! 27_laughing.gif

OT3, let's hope that they don't horn in at our favorite watering holes. 75c, happy hour beer would probably go to $5. On second thought, it would probably be beneath them to be seen in our favorite places so we won't have to worry.

Lately, I've noticed some eBay sellers of SCD's and medals asking "pie in the sky" starting bids. I guess they must be hoping that Mr. Snootface will spot their listings. One, in particular, listed two French medals with a starting bid of $499 on each and a "Submit Best Offer". He accepted my offer of $39.99 on each one. It was a reasonable price for them, but I think he cut his own throat by starting them so high. He could have gotten more if it wasn't for his "everybody lives in Beverly Hills attitude".

Chris

I can hardly wait to see Chambers selling NNC graded, MS65, 1893-S Morgans on the tube. I don't think that he can buy enough of those though for a promotion, unless they are EF or lower grades.

Chris: Buying those (starting bid $395.) French tokens for $40. is pretty funny.

OT3, let's hope that they don't horn in at our favorite watering holes. 75c, happy hour beer would probably go to $5. On second thought, it would probably be beneath them to be seen in our favorite places so we won't have to worry.

Lately, I've noticed some eBay sellers of SCD's and medals asking "pie in the sky" starting bids. I guess they must be hoping that Mr. Snootface will spot their listings. One, in particular, listed two French medals with a starting bid of $499 on each and a "Submit Best Offer". He accepted my offer of $39.99 on each one. It was a reasonable price for them, but I think he cut his own throat by starting them so high. He could have gotten more if it wasn't for his "everybody lives in Beverly Hills attitude".

Chris

I usally don't even bother to submit a best offer if the BIN is outrageous...In my opinion the sellers end up losing because of their greed.

Hayden