• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest NGC submission

3 posts in this topic

I received a coupon from NGC for 5 free modern submissions. The coupon expires in Jan. so I opened my box of uncertifed coins and started looking through them. I have silver state quarters, presidential proof sets, 2007 commemoratives, 2007 W silver eagles, a set of jefferson spouse coins, etc. In the end I decided to send in 3 x 2006 W Proof silver eagles, a 1989 $1 Congress Commemorative, and a 2006 Nebraska quarter. The reason I decided to send the quarter in was because its reverse has what looks like a boulder on the right side of the peak. I pulled 2 quarters out of an unc roll that have this. I dont know enough about errors but I figured being it was free grading certificate I should see what it would get. My results for the silver eagles are 2 70s and a 69, the 1989 Congress is a 69 (should of left it in the OGP, thought for sure it would make the 70 grade). The state quarter graded MS66 with no comments. How can a coin grade MS66 with no comment, that even at first glance, one can tell it obviously different than a regular Nebraska quarter? Its not a little speck its a boulder I tell you...

Anyhow, in Jan. my membership with NGC expires. After looking back at my past year submissions I see that I only send in Modern coins. Any coin that I purchase that doesnt fall in the modern category I purchase already certified. So do I sign up for another year of NGC or do I make a switch to PCGS? Anyone that even glances at modern coins on Ebay knows that MODERN coins of the same grade sell for more if slabbed by PCGS. What do you think?

The state quarter graded MS66 with no comments. How can a coin grade MS66 with no comment, that even at first glance, one can tell it obviously different than a regular Nebraska quarter? Its not a little speck its a boulder I tell you...

It has to be submitted under Variety Service, but that is no guarantee that it would be noted on the insert if it hasn't been recognized by CONECA or the CPG.

Chris

I submitted my five coins when I received my free voucher and one was a 1987 A.S..E and it came back with a struck thru error label as a MS69. I have since asked NGC if I have a Morgan dollar and I think it has an error do I have to submit it with a fee for variety and was told that there is no charge for listing it as an error coin.

If you send in say a Morgan dollar and know that it is a VAM and enclose the variety fee then and that Vam is not in the hot 50 or top 100 or the various 1878 Vms then you will get a note back that it is not in the hot 50 or top 100...

If this was a true error then it would seem that it would have been caught by NGC and noted on the label.

A picture of the coin would help.

He might also write Coin World. I was reading an article the other day about a Vam on a Morgan.Evren if one was sure that they had this Vam NGC would not list it on the label.