• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Standing Liberty Quarter TI Coloring question

32 posts in this topic

What is your opinion on this quarter's color-AT or NT. Looks NT to me, but then I know cr*p about toning. Sorry this is the only picture I have gotten so far. Thanks

1917SLQTI.jpg

Based on the images it looks absolutely AT to me - the colors are simply wrong for it to be NT. I'm guessing that the seller has or previously had other coins offered for sale with similar colors?

Jim, like you, I know very little about toning, but my first reaction when I saw your picture was that the colors are backwards - in other words, the blue should be on the edge, then red, then gold. I don't have any facts or knowledge to back that up; it just seems that most of the coins I've seen are toned that way.

Hopefully some of the toning experts will see this and enlighten us. I will be watching this thread, as I really need to learn more about this subject.

Mark,

I looked at the sellers other coins and out of 80 or so coins he has three other toned coins--different coloration(reversed with blue outwards and gold inwards) but something I didn't notice the first time is that all four coins were roll toned(for a lack of better description) with the centers untoned. The other coins were LSD's. He has several other quarter sized coins, including another 1917 TI with no toning.

Thanks to all, I had never had a toned coin and thought I might kill two birds with one stone, but I most certainly will heed your advice. Merry Christmas to all.

As others have said the blue toning should not be on the interior part of the coin with the gold on the outside. It's backwards.

Generally toning with the brighter colors that some collectors like does not form on circulated coins. Most of the time it forms on circualted coins because the has been dipped and not rinsed well, or the coin was stored in an album for an extended period of time.

Thanks also to Bill and Jason for their responses. Seeing as how this issue of blue vs gold coloring has come up-how about looking at this sellers other coins and tell me the AT vs NT results for these(not even interested in buying these but in learning so I won't aggravate everyone all the time) lol

Thanks to all for their time-Jim

Ebay 1

Ebay 2

Ebay 3

Thanks also to Bill and Jason for their responses. Seeing as how this issue of blue vs gold coloring has come up-how about looking at this sellers other coins and tell me the AT vs NT results for these(not even interested in buying these but in learning so I won't aggravate everyone all the time) lol

Ebay 1

Ebay 2

Ebay 3

The first two listings are blatantly artificially toned in my opinion. I strongly suspect that third coin is also, but am trying to be fair and am not certain from the images. That seller is well known for offering artificially toned coins on Ebay and I would definitely steer clear of him.

Edited to add: His Ebay feedback is a good example that a high rating doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that most of the feedback is from buyers who have no clue about what they're buying. They likely think they're getting nice coins and/or bargains, but are getting something very different from that.

Ebay 1

Ebay 2

Ebay 3

I agree with Mark here.

1. While the pictures are rather overexposed, this is very obviously AT. Note how the yellow circle goes right through the rocks below Liberty. This would (most likely) not happen on an NT coin. Also, the color progressions are wrong. Colors should appear like a rainbow, due to the physical mechanics of toning (if you want to know more about this, let us know).

2. This is very similar to the SLQ in the OP.

3. As Mark suggested, this one is more difficult. I am going to say, however, that it was an AT job gone bad. It just looks wrong, and it looks like someone tried to AT it but it turned. Either way, it is really ugly and unnatural looking.

Yes, Jason, tell me more. I'm sure Bobby and others would also be interested, if it is not too time consuming for you. I've never spent any energy on toned coins, but would like to be aware of their attributes. Thanks--Jim

I agree with Jim, I'd like to hear more. I have seen alot of blatant AT but these coins look like they didn't go over-board toning them. Looks like they just toned them enough to try not to spark too much attention. I wouldn't have even blinked at the color progression.

I think it might just be the pix, the detail is much better in hand, I would think, and I'd say the color is playing tricks on your mind because of it. This would be a coin I'd take a chance on.
There is no "playing tricks" involved, other than on the part of the seller who sells a great many artificially toned coins.

1. While the pictures are rather overexposed, this is very obviously AT. Note how the yellow circle goes right through the rocks below Liberty. This would (most likely) not happen on an NT coin. Also, the color progressions are wrong. Colors should appear like a rainbow, due to the physical mechanics of toning (if you want to know more about this, let us know).

I, for one, would definitely be interested in learning more about the mechanics of toning, either here or as a WYNTK thread.

2 notes to make.. First coin is AT, After looking at one of the links this seller has had many AT coins on ebay, and I would not put it past him if he was the source. In 2 words "STAY AWAY" When I first saw the coin in question, I thought AT and YUK.. Only to see everybody else agreed with me.

I, for one, would definitely be interested in learning more about the mechanics of toning, either here or as a WYNTK thread.

There is a WYNTK post about this.

What you need to know - characteristics of AT/NT....

You can also find some great information on TomB's web site.

The Science of Dipping and Toning

There is a WYNTK post about this.

What you need to know - characteristics of AT/NT....

You can also find some great information on TomB's web site.

The Science of Dipping and Toning

Yes, those links, especially TomB's, was exactly what I was going to say. I agree with TomB!

Thanks, guys. Guess I should have looked there before I posted. :blush:

Everything's covered I guess. Jim, walk away from this one, in fact, my unsolicited advice is for a really nice SLQ, go to any of the major dealers we know and get one holdered by PCGS or NGC with a return privilege. If you want it raw, crack it out of the holder, but don't buy one raw from ebay--- especially if it has color on it. Just my opinion and only looking out for you.

I think you must have suspected something about this kind of toning pattern such that you were compelled to post this. Trust yourself.

edited to add: and like Mark said, 100% approval on ebay doesn't hold water, necessarily. There was a guy on ebay who sold currency (I don't know if he's still on there). His currency was manipulated, very manipulated, and he was the laughing stock of the people in the currency section on another board....yet he had an approval rating of 100%. I guess it was the 100% of the unwitting victims out there.