• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay, you learn something new everyday :)

8 posts in this topic

I bought a Canadian half for my son-in-law for Christmas. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320189058848

I get the coin and it has a blotch of russet tone on the obverse. I write to the seller and tell him that he should have mentioned the toning in his description and why did he take the picture in black and white. He offers my money back but for a $6 coin I decline. I told him so and requested that he be more accurate in his future descriptions and this is his reply:

thanks ron,. it is a color picture i urge you to look at the photos again it is clearly placed so that the tonig mark is showed.as a coin seller i have sold numerous coins on the bay and never had a neg feedback because the picture is clearly shown to show you exactly what the coin is going to look like. i appreciate your understanding and not leaving neg feedback because of a misunderstanding, i will gladly refund the amount minus shipping charges for the coin. trust me as a coin collector and a lover of gifts if he doesnt like it because of natural toning which actually increases the value in most respects, then he is highly un educated in the field of numismatics. this coin is 20 years old and all it has is natural toning no smudges or anything. i will gladly refund considering you actually paid less than what i paid to aquire the coins so i would be actually be winning in the scenario. but its christmas and i feel that its better for you to give and hold on to it for another 20 years and watch the value rise 20 fold. its your decision,.

I just thought maybe others here would enjoy the chuckle and the wisdom dispensed by this seller :screwy:

Rons,

Well I certainly can not see any representation of toning on the obverse in the images. Is the toning unattractive or take away from the coin in your opinion?. Just curious. Otherwise, I have not seen this coin before and I actually really like the reverse. Jackson would love it because of the ship.

Rey

Here is a picture. I am going to try some acetone on it tomorrow but I was just amazed at the sellers response. Amazing gall, I say. So if I return I am out the $3.99 s/h/i I paid upfront plus the s/h/i to return so I Iose either way. $6 is not worthy of a neg but I believe a neutral will be headed his way when this is all said and done.

DSC01186.jpg

If you're talking about the triangle of golden tone, I saw that in the pictures, even if a little lighter. I assumed the obverse was the side with the queen on it :P

I wouldn't give him neutral FB over a $6 item.

The picture doesn't show the toning from 12:00 to 2:00 on the rim and how it radiates from that spot to the rims through the sails. Let's hope the acetone works its magic.

The auction image shows some type of problem going on to the right of the sails.

I don't feel this is something to leave a neutral feedback over.

Probably worth about what you paid for it.