• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you keep and why - part 3

19 posts in this topic

I already did sell my Gobrecht dollars. If I had kept a souvenier, which would you have kept and why?

The Eliasberg J-58 Fantasy Piece [PCGS PR65]. Extremely light hairlines under light toning:

21572872-copy.jpg

The Legend J-60a [PCGS PR65]. One of the nicest Gobrecht dollars I've ever seen. Technically and aesthetically almost perfect:

21655649-copy.jpg

The Amon Carter 1838 [PCGS PR64]. Stunning toning, an eye catching cameo eagle, with just enough lines to limit the grade:

21572874-copy.jpg

There's something about the first one (Eliasberg J-58) that draws me close. Not as attractive as the other two, but I find myself staring at it the most in wonderment.

I would keep #3 although I don't know the difference in value, I would think it would be cheaper then the other two. So after the sell of two I could, maybe, afford to keep such an eye catching piece with a chance of up grade in the future.

Liberty's face, hair and neck would make me pick #2 without question. Although it is a shame to have to give up any of the three. You have shown me more beautiful coins in your last three posts than I have ever seen, especially in the hands of one person. Congrats. (thumbs u

The Legend J-60a [PCGS PR65]. Why? Because it's "one of the nicest Gobrecht dollars [you]'ve ever seen. Technically and aesthetically almost perfect."

What's going on, TDN?

The Eliasberg, while not the prettiest of the three, there is something that appeals to me seeing Gobrechts name so prominent. A piece of numismatic history if you will.

What's going on, TDN?

What - you don't like something other than modern/ebay/this sucks threads? ;)

No, it's not that, of course. It's just that I'm afraid you'll expect my help on what to buy if I give you any help on what to sell. :D

First, I will say, that the Amon Carter 1838 looks like a died Easter egg, and I wouldn't put up with that, so can it.

The 1836 Legend J-60a appears kind ot spotty, from the pics, and initially I thought that could bring it down a notch (in my choices), but it's got this fantastic glow to it, that seems to wrap itself around everything and find it's way in between things such that I would say...I'm so taken by this, aesthetically, besides it's (seeming) technical superiority to the other two, that I would choose this as my keeper.

wow... again, three truly spectacular coins and a very difficult decision. Initially I was going to go with the Eliasberg coin but after looking [re:" gawking"] at them I'm taken with the strike and flawless surfaces of the Legend J-60a piece. Also...your characterization of this coin as being "One of the nicest Gobrecht dollars I've ever seen. Technically and aesthetically almost perfect" swayed my opinion a bit...

L