• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an error or...

8 posts in this topic

I seen this coin last night and almost bid on it, but I noticed that the second strike didn't add up, if you'll notice on the reverse the strike is is straight up and down, and on the obverse it's rotated. It does, however, look like a brockage error on the obverse, So given the strikes of the two sides, I wouldn't touch this coin.

I agree with you that the strikes don't add up. It is one of the strangest "errors" I've ever seen.

But a question comes up that I can't answer. If this thing is a fake error, how did he achieve some of the results. Look at the doubling on the "D" in Dime on reverse. I can't come up with a way to duplicate this, or the offcenter strike on the obverse. Very unusual coin!

I have to disagree. The second strike on the reverse does correspond with the obverse strike. Note that IGWT and Roosevelt's neckline are at the 1 o'clock position which is exactly opposite where it should be. On the reverse, notice that ONE DIME and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA are also reversed in the same manner.

What may have happened is that the planchet was struck off-center and stuck momemtarily to the die before falling back into the coining chamber in a rotated position before it was struck again. I think it is genuine.

Chris

I have seen coins that were altered in this manner by striking them with a softer piece of metal, and then rotating the metal and striking again, leaving a faint impression of the original coin :o . At first glance, I was sure that that was what this was, but for some reason,this coin has intrigued me, and I've spent better than an hour staring at the pictures, trying to figure it out. (shrug)

The thing that threw me was the torch. If the coin were altered in the manner I described, there would be some evidence on the high points: ie. the cheek, hair, ear, and forehead on the obverse, and the leaves and torch on the reverse. The obverse shows no such markings, but on the reverse, the torch does hm

Finally, doh! it dawned on me that if the second strike didn't bring up all of the details on the torch, the first strike design would still show. (No full bands on this one!)

Final analysis: genuine. :)

I have to disagree. The second strike on the reverse does correspond with the obverse strike. Note that IGWT and Roosevelt's neckline are at the 1 o'clock position which is exactly opposite where it should be. On the reverse, notice that ONE DIME and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA are also reversed in the same manner.

What may have happened is that the planchet was struck off-center and stuck momemtarily to the die before falling back into the coining chamber in a rotated position before it was struck again. I think it is genuine.

Chris

By George your right, they are directly across from each other. It is a very interesting coin, if you could get this coin in a holder it could bring 5X what it's bringing right now.

Wish I would have found it.

My final analysis Genuine.