• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you keep and why - part 2

17 posts in this topic

Again - if I were to sell my sets I'd like to keep a momento coin to form the basis of a type set. Which of the following would you keep and why?

The Congressman Jimmy Hayes 1866 [PCGS MS67]. Tied for finest graded of all With Motto coins, it has sultry surfaces but lacks full rolling luster.

21572796-copy.jpg

The LK Rudolf 1868 [PCGS MS66]. Tied for finest graded of the date with a lone MS64 under it, the coin has an amazing combination of rolling luster and frost on Liberty! Very very flashy.

21572798-copy.jpg

The James A Stack 1871-CC [PCGS MS64]. Tied for finest graded of the date with the Norweb NGC coin. Probably too expensive and low grade to keep as a type coin, but I fell in love with it the second I saw its image. A myriad of marks and die polish lines in the obverse field limit the grade.

21572804-copy.jpg

For me it would be a virtual tie between the 1866 and the 1871-CC. I like old silver coins to have a bit of color. The 1868 might have "rolling luster," but it also appears to have had a very judicious dip to me, and the virtually all white surfaces are not my thing when I pay a premium for a coin of this vintage. I could be all wrong about the dip, but that tiny black mark in the field in the right of the Drapery looks like something that did not “bleach out.”

If you REALLY twisted my arm, and I could only keep one, I guess I’d go for the 1871-CC. The date is a rarity, and in that grade it’s virtually impossible to improve upon. It’s also got a very natural look to it, even more than the 1866. It’s also got great eye appeal. The marks do bother me a little, but the die polishing would not be an issue for me UNLESS it is really unattractive.

But, since all of the coins are FAR better than anything I’ll ever own of this type, maybe I’m not the right person to ask about this.

I would choose the Hayes coin for the same reason that I chose the Garrett coin in the previous thread. Of course, any of these stunning specimens would outstrip anything I own.

No question for me-the 1871CC for its great strike, light color(without hiding anything) and overall eye appeal. Obviously, as I said before-tough spot you are in as most of us might someday be in the spot of trying to own such beasts much less selling them. At least you have the benefit of being able to hold them and admire them in hand. Congrats.

For some reason, the question is easier for me to answer if I ask "which I could buy, if I could buy only one," instead of "which would I keep." And the answer this time is quite a bit easier for me than last (when I literally couldn't decide); I'd buy the 1866 before I'd buy the '68 or the '71.

The Rudolph coin, hands down. If Tradedollarnut says it has rolling luster, then I believe it, and that's difficult to find on a Seated dollar. But when they do have vibrant mint luster, it's a sight to behold.

If I had all three of these coins (be still my beating heart) and could only keep one I'd choose the 1866 Hayes coin. Perhaps it's just my "pedestrian" eye but I just like the looks of this one over the other two. I also like the toning and there are no distractions.. being tied for finest of the "With Motto" coins of the series helps a bit as well.

Leo

I really can't decide. I'd be content if I owned any one of these coins. BUT, if I HAD TO choose, I would choose the 1866 Hayes coin, for the provenance, and the very high grade.

The James A Stack 1871-CC, while not completely struck out, is so eye appealing in terms of both the luster or proof-like surfaces (i have no idea which is the cause of its brightness), so gorgeous in terms of how the toning fell on the devices, and so pretty because of its color, that I'd have to choose this one, despite the grade. Of course, which one kepts depends too on what the collecting goal is.

I absolutlely agree with Mike King. The CC has that beautiful eye appeal and incredible strike for the grade. Tuff decision to have to choose just one. All worthy of a spot in an incredible type set. I make this choice as just personal preference. Congrats TDN on some super coins. (thumbs u

I absolutlely agree with Mike King. The CC has that beautiful eye appeal and incredible strike for the grade. Tuff decision to have to choose just one. All worthy of a spot in an incredible type set. I make this choice as just personal preference. Congrats TDN on some super coins. (thumbs u

Ditto.

This was the toughest of all three to decide.

All the coins have unique qualities, but I'd have to go with #2 for the fabulous strike and luster along with its state of preservation.

Really could go with any of the three though... #1's overall state of preservation is nothing short of amazing, but the coin looks a bit flat luster-wise in comparison. #3 is a gorgeous coin, with the sexy CC mintmark and nice toning but for a type coin it lacks slightly in the strike department -- regardless, it was a tough decision not to choose #3. Each are amazing in their own right...

Wonderful coins all of them & thanks for sharing them...Mike