• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC dealer poll on Certified Coin Exchange (CCE)

83 posts in this topic

it's too early to tell what the outcome will be, and dealers ultimately have to respond to the market as well, and we don't know what collector demand will be in three years from now.

CCE - isn't that owned by PCGS? lol!
For those who don't know - that was a rhetorical question, as PCGS does own CCE.

Also, I believe that there will be another/new electronic trading exchange, owned at least in part by CAC. I'll leave it to others to decide whether they think that might mean competition for certain CCE dealers. ;)

Mark just in case, for those who don't know:A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for rhetorical effect rather than to receive an answer.[1] Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to reflect on what the implied answer to the question must be. When a speaker declaims, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?" or "Do you really think I want to have a Star Trek themed wedding?", or "How many times do I have to tell you to stop walking into the house with mud on your shoes?"; no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something. Some language experts consider rhetorical questions to be in fact, grammatical errors when used formally.

Edited to say: I didn't copy and paste that,"I promise."

For those who don't know - that was a rhetorical question, as PCGS does own CCE.

Also, I believe that there will be another/new electronic trading exchange, owned at least in part by CAC. I'll leave it to others to decide whether they think that might mean competition for certain CCE dealers. ;)

I understand how the CAC exchange might mean competition for CCE and its owner. But I don't see how it might mean added competition for dealers who choose to use one exchange or the other (or both).

CAC is in fact a good idea, for third tier grading services. NGC and PCGS is in tier two, I personally won't pay extra for a second tier grading service, if it has the football on it, but I will in fact pay the bid or maybe even buy price for a third tier grading service. I know I'm completely of the thread hear, but it all boils down to the same question; will CAC be accepted and in certain circumstances I say yes.

If you put your money in a bank that is Federally insured. Do you think you should spend the money for more insurance? I think not.

I see that Legend Numismatics from Lincroft, NJ (yes, you, TDN), and John Albanese Numismatics from Far Hills, NJ, are members of CCE. I'm sure that other members of and participants in CAC are also members of CCE. So, I think it's wrong -- and maybe even disingenous -- to suggest that CU's ownership of CCE taints the poll.

I understand how the CAC exchange might mean competition for CCE and its owner. But I don't see how it might mean added competition for dealers who choose to use one exchange or the other (or both).

Lou, I don't know which dealers will end up on just one vs. both exchanges. However, I expect that because of CAC, some dealers presently on CCE will have to bid more for certain coins in order to get the opportunity to buy them.

So, I think it's wrong -- and maybe even disingenous -- to suggest that CU's ownership of CCE taints the poll.

I think there are a myriad of things that could taint the poll ... especially since none of us have any idea whatsoever who the polls participants are, how the question was phrased, who tabulates the answers, etc.

Lou, I don't know which dealers will end up on just one vs. both exchanges. However, I expect that because of CAC, some dealers presently on CCE will have to bid more for certain coins in order to get the opportunity to buy them.

I don't think that scenario would turn any dealer against CAC. If CAC performs as intended: (1) a sticker will help dealers find nicer coins that are worth more regardless of whether they're traded through CCE or the CAC netowrk; (2) the prospect of higher bids means little because dealers won't pay more unless they can sell for more; and (3) CAC will facilitate trade among dealers.

It seems to me that the majority of honest and hardworking dealers would favor CAC. But I know honest and hardworking dealers who are either neutral toward or against the organization. (And I think the majority sentiment can't be explained away by the the fact that CU owns CCE.) Why?

I don't think that scenario would turn any dealer against CAC. If CAC performs as intended: (1) a sticker will help dealers find nicer coins that are worth more regardless of whether they're traded through CCE or the CAC netowrk; (2) the prospect of higher bids means little because dealers won't pay more unless they can sell for more; and (3) CAC will facilitate trade among dealers.

It seems to me that the majority of honest and hardworking dealers would favor CAC. But I know honest and hardworking dealers who are either neutral toward or against the organization. (And I think the majority sentiment can't be explained away by the the fact that CU owns CCE.) Why?

I can't answer that for them and regardless, it's their prerogative. I don't plan to argue with them over it. ;)

. . . none of us have any idea whatsoever who the polls participants are, how the question was phrased, who tabulates the answers, etc.

I guess you can understand why people assume the worst when there's a lack of information. ;)

The CCE is owned by PCGS, so i'm not surprised that their legion of Kool-Aid drinkers will respond with something that will impress DH. A lot of the coins on CCE are drek anyway, so those dealers are gonna' slam the CAC for all its worth, getting rid of their inventory is mostly the point of the CCE for them. Having a CAC come along to look for solidly/PQ graded coins, is not what they want to see. The well respected dealers that are known for nice stuff will appreciate the CAC and what they are trying to do, the Drek Dumpers will see it as cutting into their pushing of overgraded .

Kinda like going to a regular Toyota forum and asking about whether Lexus is a good idea.

. . . none of us have any idea whatsoever who the polls participants are, how the question was phrased, who tabulates the answers, etc.

I guess you can understand why people assume the worst when there's a lack of information. ;)

Perhaps. No disrespect to PCGS intended, as I'd have the same hesitations about poll results showing 80% disapproval of Democrats on a Republican National Committee website poll as well. ;)

. . . their legion of Kool-Aid drinkers . . .

You just painted the founders of CAC with your broad brush. I reviewed the membership list, and I think that your name-calling is unfair.

I believe you will find that both CCE and PCGS are owned by Collector's Universe, and the poll being conducted was brought up by an independent dealer that does not believe in the CAC concept. I think you will also find that this poll represents a wide range of independent coin and currency dealers, all of whom have their own thoughts on the CAC concept and is most likely not influenced by either PCGS or Collector's Unvierse. Many (but not all) of the dealers who expressed their views did so on "open" broadcast. Of course, there is no way to tell if the numbers have been "cooked" (by the dealer who ran the poll) but from the number of votes that were run on open broadcast it sure looks like there isn't much independent dealer support for CAC.

I believe you will find that both CCE and PCGS are owned by Collector's Universe, and the poll being conducted was brought up by an independent dealer that does not believe in the CAC concept. I think you will also find that this poll represents a wide range of independent coin and currency dealers, all of whom have their own thoughts on the CAC concept and is most likely not influenced by either PCGS or Collector's Unvierse. Many (but not all) of the dealers who expressed their views did so on "open" broadcast. Of course, there is no way to tell if the numbers have been "cooked" (by the dealer who ran the poll) but from the number of votes that were run on open broadcast it sure looks like there isn't much independent dealer support for CAC.

Not a very scientific poll. ;)

Doesn't matter. CAC has already had the effect on the marketplace that I was looking for when I initially invested in the concept. Of course, only a few people in the world know exactly what that effect is. :D

Geez, for somebody with two strikes already you would expect a lesson learned but apparently this dog isn't interested in any new tricks. CC your life on these boards will be short if you don't begin to make some positive input instead of incessant anti-CAC blather. 700 posts and my guess is 600+ are about the CAC. Obsessed comes to mind. Let the market decide, give yourself a break, and try to gain some credibility.

The entire concept is tainted---the Fat Lady will soon Sing !!!!!! NGC & PCGS will ultimately have the last laugh.

So will ICG and CAC will not even sticker their coins! Do you really need a stickering service to tell you the coin below is solid quality?

49312-scan0035.jpg.898ec7f3cbc4bf9af43345245dc0d9fd.jpg

49313-scan0036.jpg.1c6f0b9a1e16ff0bdb48702d9d748b8c.jpg