• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fedex shipment stolen.Edited to include cert. #s

23 posts in this topic

The following coins were stolen on route from Seattle/Tacoma WA. to Beverly Hills, CA. (package was shipped yesterday, Oct. 30 and arrived without the contents today Oct. 31) :

1936 T- l (Satin) Buffalo Nickel PCGS PR67 #60042376

1937 Buffalo Nickel PCGS PR67 #3502772

1937 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #9653292

1938 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #5259826

1939 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #5635453

1940 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #2033291

1941 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #1515596

1942 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 #2472451

1937 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS PR67 #6381184

1939 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS PR67 #5565752

1940 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS PR67 #3421362

1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS PR67 #3611487

1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS PR67 #9986117

Any help in putting the word out to other dealers, particularly in the areas that the package was shipped from and received at, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mark,

I dont know if this package relates to you anyways, but when I worked in a Jewelery store FedEx made us double box our packages. The small boxes fit inside the medium boxes perfectly. I worked there about 5 years and in that time period we didnt lose one thing to FedEx, we did lose about $150k worth or Rolex and other watches via UPS. Im really sorry to hear about the lose, FedEx can be a pain to collect insurance $$ though.

Good luck

OUCH! So there were your companies coins? Double OUCH!

You mentioned on CU that your deductible is high, do you guys insure through FedEx to cover the deductible?

Sorry for your loss. Hope you get the money back soon.

BTW I woke up this mourning about 6:00 and went to get the paper and I could'nt get the screen door open because thier were about 7 packages blocking the door! Guess what? It was from Fed -Ex. They were there all night! And of course it rain all day yesterday and this mourning. I have told Fed Ex before many times not to leave packages, because I get into my house from the garage. Luckily only the cardboard got wet! Also I don't think anything was stolen! Well sorry for your loss again, kenwin1

Yes, Sean, our coins. We don't insure through Fedex, only through a private carrier. I don't even think our carrier would allow us to insure through Fedex too, but I'm not certain.

kenwin1 - your story almost made me feel like we received good service!

• Administrator

Here I thought you were going to say that you got Mark's coins by mistake and found them outside your door. crazy.gif

Arch

Mark,

Doesn't matter how you send it, you still have to deal with an hourly-waged carrier. I came home one day to find two Registered USPS packages in my box at my apartment. Next day, I took them to the local station and asked to speak to the delivery supervisor. When he arrived at the window, I gave him the packages, told him what happened, and asked him if he wanted me to actually sign for the things. Let's say I ruined his breakfast.

FedEx and UPS both regularly will leave things by the door, and I still can't convince my USPS carrier that certified mail and insured mail requires a signature if it has the blue or green labels. mad.gif

Keith, we have experienced some of the things you just mentioned. But, this is outright theft - the package was opended, the coins were removed, the package was resealed and delivered. I know other dealers who have had the same thing happen to them before.

Mark,

Did they put anything in the package to make it feel like it was full? I would think that the absence of that many slabs would be noticable.

Also, do you use your firm name on the packages (Pinncle Rarities), or do you have something else? If you have a cover name, odds are that the theft occurred near the pcikup point.

Keith and Sean,

These are fair questions, but ones that I should probably not answer publicly, at least for now. I will say, that we follow specific procedures, as requested by our insurance carrier. Sorry I can't say more at this time.

Keith, I can tell you that we don't have any reference to "coins" or "rarities" on our packages.

It was a fluke thing. We shipped several packages that day - no others were stolen. And, the recipient received other packages from other senders, without incident.

hi there mark i am sorry to hear about the loss hope you can get the coins back

post the

cert numbers on here if you can and get a chance

well most all packages are safe for the most part but i guess if s0omeone really

wants something and puts their mind to it anything can get stolen

not a good thought but another cost of doing business played out by higher costs shared by all

if i can be of any help please do not hesitatre to contact me

sincerely michael

I have a problem with UPS leaving packages outside my door and I live in a large complex of apartments! I have even spoken to the local Supevisor about this and it didn't matter. Nothing changed

Sorry to hear of your loss Mark and I hope that you get them back.

The following coins were stolen on route from Seattle/Tacoma WA...

I live between Seattle and Tacoma and have shipped and received many coins w/o incident. I have always sent them registered and insured, however. That way the post office seals all edges and stamp it with a date stamp to hinder tampering.

Nevertheless, your new info will make me much more cautious.

I work the graveyard shift so for Halloween I put out a large bag of candy securely taped to the doorknob and a large sign requesting the honour system be used. This was at 2:30 in the afternoon. I was awakened at 3:30 by my doorknobs jiggling and kids saying, "take the whole bag". Needless to say, at that time, $20 in candy was already gone. It's a shame that a few shamsters hurt the innocent.

FedEx and UPS both regularly will leave things by the door, and I still can't convince my USPS carrier that certified mail and insured mail requires a signature if it has the blue or green labels.

Makes ya want to go postal on 'em!

They always leave my packages with the apt. manager. Don't even bother to see if I'm home or not.

Mark--

sorry to read of the loss...!!! It's a horrible theft!!! Can you post photos, and/or

cert. numbers for all to keep an eye out for them??? What of notifying all the trade rags-- get the info out to as many as possible, as quickly as possible!!! I sincerely hope they can be recovered quickly, and-- if I can help-- let me know!!!

Yet another thought: perhaps it was the receiver! of the goods, that was somehow targeted, and-- as fortune might have it-- your package 'stood-out' in the crowd of other parcels received... best of luck!!!

New _Horizons,

Thanks for the messages. We don't have images but are notifying everyone we can. The recipient received other Fedex packages from other senders without any problems (and we shipped Fedex packages to other people the same day - they all arrived safely).This was just an unlucky fluke.