• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you heard about the Gold donations?

7 posts in this topic

Earlier this week a generous and anonymous donor placed a one-half ounce American Gold Eagle coin into a Salvation Army kettle.

More reports of kind-hearted donations dropped into the traditional red kettles have followed.

Today, the Sioux City Journal reported donations of a quarter-ounce gold South African Krugerrand turning up outside a Kmart on Monday and then a one-ounce Krugerrand on Wednesday.

Another one-ounce American Gold Eagle was drooped in a kettle in Prescott, Arizona on Tuesday.

In some cities, receiving gold coins in kettles has been a tradition of sorts, so you’re less likely to hear about them.

It seems that for the last several years I have heard or read stories of this happening. Many times they are wraped in a bill of some sort.

Earlier this week a generous and anonymous donor placed a one-half ounce American Gold Eagle coin into a Salvation Army kettle.
There are a lot of stories of this type of donation happening. Last year, someone dropped a Liberty Head Eagle that was said to be worth over $2,000. A number of years ago, someone was going around Manhattan dropping $100 bills into kettles. They figured it was the same person because once they figured it out, they found 50 bills (there are 50 bills in a pack) and man of the bills had consecutive serial numbers.

Look up "salvation army gold coin" to see all of the stories about gold coins dropped in the red kettles. It turns out that it is not all that unusual!

Scott :hi:

I heard about other stories like this also in the past years. Though it may sound common, when you think of how many donations are given each Christmas holiday and only a few stories are known, still would be unusual to me someone giving gold coins as donations.