• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some "POTENTIAL"YN's are just not too interested??

10 posts in this topic

Here's a short story that I found to be a little comical.

The verdict isn’t in on whether counterfeit coins were used earlier this month at a local McDonald’s restaurant in Macomb, Illinois.

The boy who used them was given the four Presidential $1 Coins as a gift from his grandparents. They were special proof versions, which are made for collectors, and have a current value of at least $14.95.

Proofs usually make ideal gifts for many children due to each coin’s mirror-like shine and unmatched detail. The boy, however, was apparently less intrigued and decided to spend them.

The coins were not counterfeit! Those McDonalds workers and cops are just further "proof" that this country is now full of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

These were proofs, not counterfeits. The proof versions were released in june, long before the Madison business strikes.

I think that was his point.

And, I think you should change the title of the thread. Apparently, this kid was not a young "numismatist," but rather just a kid. He probably had no idea about their value, or their shiny appearance.

Provided I didn't get roughed up in jail over such a stupid matter, I'd be glad of being booked. I'd sue the out of the police department and use the money to buy coins.

(no, I'm not serious about being glad - but I would attempt to sue.)