• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the reasons my photos...................

20 posts in this topic

............looked so bad lately is that I discovered that I had inadvertently changed the white balance setting. Now all I have to do is get back to my eye doctor for another exam to overcome the blurriness. Does this look any better, Victor?

Chris

48831-_MG_2020.JPG.096df6c4b1bf2af35bd6172c815aa8fd.JPG

48832-_MG_2021.JPG.01857db976a0cb8c33682c590ca675a0.JPG

I have found that the background makes all the difference as far as WB is concerned. My Daughter's cheap camera has auto WB and when I image my coins on a white background then the tend to have a yellow tint to them. When I image coins on a black background they look white and pretty close to what they should look like. I think that may be part of your issue Chris.

Plus you need more light.....how many lights are you using and what type? hm

The pic is still a little soft. Does your camera have a dioptric (sp?) adjustment?

My camera has a built in dioprtric adjustment. You can buy viewfinder mounted adjustments for your particular needs. This would greatly help. You may see it in focus, but they will always be soft to the rest of us.

I have found that the background makes all the difference as far as WB is concerned. My Daughter's cheap camera has auto WB and when I image my coins on a white background then the tend to have a yellow tint to them. When I image coins on a black background they look white and pretty close to what they should look like. I think that may be part of your issue Chris.

Plus you need more light.....how many lights are you using and what type? hm

The lights I'm using are fluorescent bulbs incorporated into the ceiling fan. There are four, but only two of them are pointing in the general direction of the camera set-up.

Here are some additional pics of the same coin. The first pair are on a white background with the same lighting I used before. The second pair are on the white background with one additional light. This light is a fluorescent tube, drafting lamp that is mounted in the center of the table. The third pair are on the green background with the additional light.

Note how the background changes color from the obverse photo of each pair to the reverse photo of each pair. How can that be? Would the fact that the center of the obverse is darker than the center of the reverse have anything to do with it?

Chris

48842-_MG_2022.JPG.8902c99ac6627fb2352d7d35787feb8c.JPG

48843-_MG_2023.JPG.6c27fe8870373b1b4cb4b5a05262858a.JPG

48844-_MG_2024.JPG.842c4982d284decd890c3fbfc8569cb0.JPG

48845-_MG_2025.JPG.71174a5af51015ace6ca76f181a0361e.JPG

48846-_MG_2026.JPG.a84d85b6238f98056eb8443acaf31825.JPG

48847-_MG_2027.JPG.ed0dade761795fec28387d3b6e87600b.JPG

Is this lamp over your pool table? You need light sources much closer to the coin........still too dark and not all of the surface is visable. I'd like to see you use a black background...even if it's a t-shirt and then use more light at different angles closer to the coin itself. I use two gooseneck lamps with reveal bulbs and the coin is typically positioned within 12 inches of the coin I am imaging.....

Even with a cheap camera it is taking good images in slabs. Give me a raw coin like you are shooting and not slab glare....and watch out. You'll have to come over when you are in town or I will bring my set up too you and we can take some images and play around with your camera to see what we can come up with.

Your pictures aren't bad and you can see the toning and colors but not all of the luster.....I just think we can tweak a few things and get you into the year 2008 lol

Is this lamp over your pool table? You need light sources much closer to the coin........still too dark and not all of the surface is visable. I'd like to see you use a black background...even if it's a t-shirt and then use more light at different angles closer to the coin itself. I use two gooseneck lamps with reveal bulbs and the coin is typically positioned within 12 inches of the coin I am imaging.....

Even with a cheap camera it is taking good images in slabs. Give me a raw coin like you are shooting and not slab glare....and watch out. You'll have to come over when you are in town or I will bring my set up too you and we can take some images and play around with your camera to see what we can come up with.

Your pictures aren't bad and you can see the toning and colors but not all of the luster.....I just think we can tweak a few things and get you into the year 2008 lol

Black? Shane, you forget that Mom was an artist and did her own matting and framing. I still have a thousand pieces of matboard laying around in almost any color you want. How about paisley? (worship)

What about Sunday afternoon at your place?

Chris

Black? Shane, you forget that Mom was an artist and did her own matting and framing. I still have a thousand pieces of matboard laying around in almost any color you want. How about paisley? (worship)

Chris

Chris...if you have a paisley board for a back ground I will kill to own it....it could be my signature background for all my coins..... lol lol lol

Sunday at my place would be great....I can meet you at your hotel and give you a ride back to my place and then we can get into a photo frenzy...that is if you have anything worth photographing (shrug)

lol lol lol lol

Sorry no pool table...remember I got downgraded into a small apartment by the Ex :sumo:

.....but that's ok becuase she just bought a house with the man she had the affair with, closed two weeks ago....and then got laid off yesterday hm Can you say karma :banana:

Chris

Chris...if you have a paisley board for a back ground I will kill to own it....it could be my signature background for all my coins..... lol lol lol

Sunday at my place would be great....I can meet you at your hotel and give you a ride back to my place and then we can get into a photo frenzy...that is if you have anything worth photographing (shrug)

lol lol lol lol

Sorry no pool table...remember I got downgraded into a small apartment by the Ex :sumo:

.....but that's ok becuase she just bought a house with the man she had the affair with, closed two weeks ago....and then got laid off yesterday hm Can you say karma :banana:

I don't know if I will be able to find the matboard, Shane. There is a ton to go through. I won't be bringing my cues with me this time, anyway.

Chris

Good then I won't have to kick your butt at pool again this year :sumo:

On second thought, maybe I should bring my cues.

Gee, it's a good thing we didn't videotape that last session. All we would have seen is you with the rack in your hands.

Chris :devil:

what kind of camera are you using Chris?

It's a Canon Powershot Pro1, but I'm not the Pro.

Chris

your images are slightly out of focus (not that i do much better), so are you using a tripod or holding the camera with your hand...and, when you press the button, is it on timer so there's less shake from your hand clicking the button?

Good then I won't have to kick your butt at pool again this year :sumo:

On second thought, maybe I should bring my cues.

Gee, it's a good thing we didn't videotape that last session. All we would have seen is you with the rack in your hands.

Chris :devil:

Nobody is going to believe you.....quit telling stories.....why I am a fantastic Pool player :acclaim:

hm

doh!

what kind of camera are you using Chris?

It's a Canon Powershot Pro1, but I'm not the Pro.

Chris

your images are slightly out of focus (not that i do much better), so are you using a tripod or holding the camera with your hand...and, when you press the button, is it on timer so there's less shake from your hand clicking the button?

I use a tripod, but I do press the shutter release button instead of using the timer. I guess I should start using the timer. Thanks!

Chris