• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do those pesky scratches on the plastic annoy you?

18 posts in this topic

Shylock noted in his recent post that the "new" NGC slabs bulge a little in the center & tend to get scratched in that area (right over the coin). frown.gif Also, older holders, both NGC & PCGS end up with annoying scratches that "hide" some of our great coins (on the other hand, sometimes they hide things that we don't want to see). 893whatthe.gif

SO here's some info that I had posted across the street re cleaning those scratches.

Here's something that will "remove" them (along with a bit of elbow grease):

Products to clean plastic slabs:

1st: Meguiar’s Clear Plastic Cleaner (No. 17) 8oz @ $7.99 (Product #1708) (removes the scratches)

2nd: Meguiar’s Clear Plastic Polish (No. 10) 8oz @ $7.99 (Product #1008) (Polishes the plastic so that it's "optically" clear)

These'll clean a lot of plastic slabs, BUT you gotta work at it frown.gif - (maybe something to do while watching TV!)

Linky to the other post

(BUT, dispite waht some of those who reply suggest, I would NOT recommend using "Brasso" - it has some volitile gases that are probably not good around coins.)

I got a better idea. If the slab is so bad you can't see your coin I'd suggest this method: makepoint.gif

laugh.gif

jom

Yes scratched holders do annoy me. PCGS with their soft plastic and vulnerable convex windows are the worst. I've got an 1801 half dime that has any annoying scratch on the obverse window. It really interferes with my enjoyment of the coin.

Thanks for the tip Newmis, I'm a little obsessive about scuffs and scratches. I have some scratch remover I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago but it doesn't help much with scuffs. I'll probably send the 1907 for reholdering but it always makes me nervous to have a coin like that cracked out.

Someone once recommended a product that's used on jet windshields, I think he said some auto parts stores carry it. Rick Snow uses toothpaste to smooth out scratches on slabs before imaging them -- ever notice how minty fresh some of his coins are?

I haven't used any of these because of an underlying fear of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that may affect the integrity of the plastic or the quality of the toning.

Perhaps next time I will read the label carefully and see if any VOCs are listed.

They do annoy the hell out of me. Thanks to all for all of the suggestions on how to cure this. Re-holdering is also an option and not expensive, however I have this fear that my coin may not come back in the same condition. It's holdered so leave it be.

I tried a scratch remover and it really didn't remove any scratches. It did polish the slab slightly. Then I tried Brasso and it really helped. I haven't noticed any change to my coins yet, and hope I never do.

I do have a dremel tool. I might look into a soft buffing wheel and some polish...

I do have a dremel tool. I might look into a soft buffing wheel and some polish...

I did that with an ICG slab and it created to much heat.It kinda warped it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I cleaned the scratches off an 1883-P Shield Nickel, but a light touch, and several separate, short buffings is all that is needed.

I cleaned the scratches off an 1883-P Shield Nickel, but a light touch, and several separate, short buffings is all that is needed.

I really hope that's what you did to the holder, not the Nickel shocked.gif