• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World hoooh what is it good for?

15 posts in this topic

With apologies to Edwin Starr :/ My Coin World renewal date is coming up in February and I am undecided about keeping the subscription. So, with that in mind, what do you think the advantages/disadvantages are for receiving the magazine. For starters the new format seems crowded and emphasizes to me that ads fill over 50% of the page space.

Another question is what full page advertisers have you bought or would you buy from sight unseen? And the flip side who would you not buy from? Just some input and thoughts about the magazine and its contents to warm up this cold snowy day. 20 degrees and 3 inches of snow on the ground. :censored:

For almost a decade I subscribed to CW. I breathlessly awaited each issue. I finally let my subscription lapse when I recognized that I kept having the feeling of 'is that it?' after reading each issue.

I don't subscribe to CW, the reason being two-fold. First, it seems to emphasize ads way more than actual news and articles. Second, I can get most of the important news from folks here, regular news outlets, and other websites.

Dunno if that'll help you when deciding.

I subscribe to Numismatic News instead. They both cover the same hobby news but I find the writing in NN to be better--not in the sense that the writing in CW is bad, but you can write about the same story from different angles and I seem to like the one NN covers. It's fewer pages, less over loaded with advertising. I find it like comfort food--a quick indulgment without costing a lot.

Scott :hi:

With the advent of chat rooms, the need for print media like CW and NN has declined. I currently subscribe to both magazines, but I agree with Tradedollarnut that there isn't much real information content (in either). As for the ads, I'm not fond of raw coins, especially ones with house grades like 'premium quality' (everything) or 'select brilliant uncirculated.' 'Special' lots of slabbed coins at 50% of market value (supposedly) don't turn me on either. Anyone who buys a coin in response to a line in a full-page ad in CW or NN might as well take his chances with Ebay. Buying coins on a sight-unseen basis is always risky, IMO.

i have subscribed to coin world for years

but within the last two years of really skyrocketing in subscription price

the icing on the cake was

extremely poor to non delivery in the last year ...............

so i am not renewing in march 2008

i will continue with the numismatic news weekly as i like the monthly coin values price sheet which is way more accurate and realistic then the fancy glossy magazine coin world coin values

Anyone who buys a coin in response to a line in a full-page ad in CW or NN might as well take his chances with Ebay. Buying coins on a sight-unseen basis is always risky, IMO.
I disagree, since there are two dealers who advertise in these publications that I have purchased from successfully and without issue. And since I buy mostly raw coins, except for my registry set, I am careful who I purchase from.

BTW... I have had more problems on eBay as a seller (not paying, moronic complaints, etc.) than as a buyer! Then again, I don't buy Trade Dollars or "1792 Morgan dollars" from Chinese sellers!

Scott :hi:

Skyrocketing in subscription costs? I have both an Online and Print Subscription and it is $53.00 a year. I mainly use it as a source for prices in Coin trends.Whne bidding on coins I use three Price sources. One of the others being Numismedia here.

There are also links to other sites online.I got the print as it was only a few dollars more and while not all articles are in my area I have picked up some insights despite the advertising,Judging by the bidding on some of these coins there are a lot of people that could use a frame of reference for value.

If people think that $53.00 a year or $4.50 a month is a lot of money for insight that could save them a lot of money or help them to make some then don't get into other investment areas such as the Stock market where a online subscription to Barrons,WSJ or Investors Daily is $19.95 a month. I wouldn't waste my money but I imagine a lot of people spend more money in a Starbucks every month.

There are also announcements for Coin Shows as well as meetings etc. and I go through the ads every issue to compare prices on Certified Coins.I foind an ad for an NGC Certified Morgan for $149.00. The exact same certification was a BIN on Ebay for $169.00.

With the new format, I am less eager to subscribe to CW. I am not sure if I will.

And BTW Scott, your new avatar picture completely threw me off. It took me a minute to realize it was you, I get so used to seeing a certain avatar for each person.

My answer to your question is the content. If someone finds that informative or entertaining, then it will be worth the subscription price. Otherwise, probably no and most collectors would probably be better off using those funds to buy coins instead.

The only periodical I subscribe to is through my ANA membership but I only have that so I can buy insurance through Hugh Wood Associates. Probably the ANA and ANS numismatic journals would be more educational but I have not made the time and defnitely do not have the money to follow or buy any coins outside of my specialties in any detail. The only article in the ANA magazine with any relavance to what I collect was on Pillar dollars but it did not add anything that I do not already have in my Gilboy reference book.

I currently subscribe to both. I really like the new CW format and their priceguide leaves NN in the dust.

I believe NN gives better info on USM products mintages allowing someone to get a feel for those who might have low mintages and invest accordingly.

I have noticed the Jamestown unc $5 may have low mintages. Even though I just recently bought 10 of these from the USM and stashed them away in my bank box, I may load up on some more. The ANACS MS 70 is one I recently slabbed.

48795-scan0035.jpg.1bc8c3d3f4539cb65946ed355ae8b2e0.jpg

48796-scan0036.jpg.f0bf90c336829d929d1d4be5c1d43d41.jpg

48797-scan0081.jpg.5522fa51064d56beba4e0940f3cc4cc8.jpg

the icing on the cake was

extremely poor to non delivery in the last year ...............

I had occasional problems with the delivery of CW, but when the Post Office assigned the route to a new carrier, the problems stopped. I hope the old carrier enjoyed reading it.

Chris

I let my subscription lapse about 6 months ago and haven't really missed it. I did find it useful for announcements for small coin shows, I liked the articles on the early commems, I found the letters to the editor interesting and sometimes the world coin info would be about the release of a series containing sailing ship coins that I might not have heard about otherwise..

I've never bought a coin from an advertiser, however....I thinkl I'll renew or ask a relative to renew for a Christmas gift for me..

I have never had any problem with delivery.I went through the "Announcement" section yesterday and found a few coin dealers that I will look into further.

I thought of another post on this Forum as I noticed one dealer with a "Zerbie" that was certifed by PCGS. The dealer wanted $8250 for it.