• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent

16 posts in this topic

I posted a couple of coins I won on Ebay(sorry Mark-before your warning) one of which was an 1857 FE. The pics I posted were the sellers and luckily they were poor photos. I've attached new photos(which I am no photo guru as you all know) once I received the coin in hand and I felt they were worth re posting. Hope you do also. I see some what I feel is verdigris on the reverse which is why I guess the seller had the photos so light. I know Mark you are right, right, right! But I still got the coin cheaply and it will fill an otherwise empty slot, just for the pervisity of it(look that word up-my nephew invented it at 4 years old).

Sellers photos:

1857FlyingEagleCent.jpg

In Hand Photos:

1857FEIH.jpg

I think it looks pretty good! Nice 40 or 45. Love those FE cents. They make me feel nostalgic for some reason.

I believe it can be done, Bobby. In March, on this forum, it was recommended to soak them in olive oil for six months. I am not that patient, I left a lincoln cent that was unrecognizable, either side, from verdigris for only 5 months(actually, I forgot it).I removed it to find a 1912d Lincoln cent. One spot on the reverse did not come off-actually none came off completely, but over 90% did. I did not think this would work so I never thought to take pics. If you have the patience try it(I believe it would have done better had I changed the oil monthly) as I know it will work. I already have my FEC soaking as we speak. I have before pics, by spring I'll take after pics and compare.

Mark said nothing in regards to this specific coin, just copper coins in general.

Pervisity, as I said in my post, was made up by my 4 year old nephew Scot. I have used it sparingly over the years and have never been called on it till now.

Nice die cracks, Larry. Sharp FEC.

Thanks. It's just a die clash.

Die clashes are still pretty cool in my book. And from what I know about FECs, which is very little, that is a nicely struck coin.

The 1857 shown twice looks cleaned, possibly harshly, hard to tell from the pics. As to the possible verdigris on the reverse again hard to tell from the pics. I do not like it, could wait for a higher grade to come along, one thatis in much better shape, they are cheap enough to wait for. I think with this one from what I can pick up from your thread you got what you paid for, sorry.

Don't be sorry, realone. All of us are allowed an opinion. When someone tells me I got what I paid for, I don't necessarily take that as a negative. I've not gotten what I paid for a few times and it leaves a far more bitter taste. lol

Thanks. It's just a die clash

JUST a die clash!?? Modesty modesty.

Pervisity, as I said in my post, was made up by my 4 year old nephew Scot. I have used it sparingly over the years and have never been called on it till now.

Probably because of its similarity to perversity which also seems to be the context in which you used it