• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Barber Dime... Grade Opinions? New images....

47 posts in this topic

So I picked up the coin in the old holder. Put the holder aside and give your honest thoughts on the coin. Sorry for the images as they are quick shots.

1892bd.jpg

1892bdo.jpg

1892bdr.jpg

If those aren't fairly bad flaws from the bottom left corner of Liberty's eye and (as opposed to die clashing) to the right of her mouth/chin, it looks like a very attractive MS65 example to me. Otherwise I'd guess a very attractive MS64. :)

If those aren't fairly bad flaws from the bottom left corner of Liberty's eye and (as opposed to die clashing) to the right of her mouth/chin, it looks like a very attractive MS65 example to me. Otherwise I'd guess a very attractive MS64. :)

The eye area looks good in hand. On the other hand I am not sure if those are clashes or hits in front of her mouth. Those giant images always blow everything up and in hand they are not bad at all.

My "first guess/best guess" is MS-65. There is a tiny tic at the top of the cheek and something that looks like a hit in front of the mouth. I bump it up a grade for the pretty toning.

I'll say 63, conservatively.
Based upon what? ;)

My conservataive grading skills doh!

Regardless of what grade you think a coin deserves, ask yourself WHY you are grading it a certain way, rather than picking a grade for no particular reason. Forcing yourself to justify your grade can cause you to change your initial answer one way or the other and can get you thinking about your reasoning. It will hopefully make you a more disciplined grader/evaluator of coins.

Edited to add: Happy birthday!

Nice looking Barber Dime there Bruce. I'm gonna have to give this an MS63. It looks to have some sort of spotting going on under the toning. Very nice looking coin!!!

Nice looking Barber Dime there Bruce. I'm gonna have to give this an MS63. It looks to have some sort of spotting going on under the toning. Very nice looking coin!!!
"Spotting" like that (and remember it is magnified by the images) is often seen on coins that grade much higher than MS63. ;)

The coin looks fine, but I'm not truly sold that it is attractive. The grade of MS64 keeps coming up in my mind since the muted, deeper color does not appear to boom out with tremendous luster. Also, though spotting is allowed up to very high grades, the combination of color, luster and spotting make me stick to MS64, though if I am interpreting the coin correctly I do not believe it is something I would want to sink deep money into for my collection.

"Spotting" like that (and remember it is magnified by the images) is often seen on coins that grade much higher than MS63. ;)

Well then with Marks words of wisdom, I do see this at MS64 (thumbs u

Based upon what? ;)

Regardless of what grade you think a coin deserves, ask yourself WHY you are grading it a certain way, rather than picking a grade for no particular reason. Forcing yourself to justify your grade can cause you to change your initial answer one way or the other and can get you thinking about your reasoning. It will hopefully make you a more disciplined grader/evaluator of coins.

Okay Mark,

I said MS63 because the obverse looks a little dull to me. It could just be the images, but the luster around the face look muted. It could also be because of the toning.

Better?

If I remember correctly, in your other thread you mentioned you paid a premium to the stated grade, which would likely put you close to where I would be comfortable on the coin or even a bit beyond given the deeper, less vibrant look of this image.

I did not get this coin for MS 63 price. The dealer is not dumb. At either rate I made a killer trade for me, so I got this coin for next to nothing if you ask me. I was able to trade a few coins that I did not have much in and some cash. Came out way under MS63 ask. More like MS60 ask.

P.S. Do you think CAC would sticker this one? lol

Based upon what? ;)

Okay Mark,

I said MS63 because the obverse looks a little dull to me. It could just be the images, but the luster around the face look muted. It could also be because of the toning.

Better?

Sometimes you go with your "gut feeling" and the first reaction you get is usually

what the coin is. I'm not a big fan of grading MS coins from images as lighting and toning can mask problems. I liked the coin well enough to think it was a 64 - as alot of us did - but I thought the coin could have 63'd - or 65'd - as the case may be - based on my feelings about grading from images.

At least noone said it was a slider AU 58.

Nice coin, Bruce. Glad to see you adding some Barbers to your collection.