• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Barber Dime... Grade Opinions? New images....

47 posts in this topic

What a dog - BB Material - Dark obverse, PVC toning reverse - needs a dip! You need to get the green PVC off before the coin is damaged further. I would say low end for the grade but it does not seem to make the grade IMO. Be wary of people who would seek to rip you on toned coins by selling them at many multiples of market retail (these lowlifes are wolves in sheeps clothing). The toning could simply be damage, like the PVC damage on this coin's reverse. Looks like a good conservation candidate as the luster is somewhat nice - perhaps a blazer after dipping?

No wonder he let it go for MS 60 money lol - probably relieved he got rid of it.

Suggest you send to NCS if your afraid to conserve yourself.

Here is what PQ coins look like:

48657-scan0096.jpg.fe48776647cb5e17f084cd37f77818a5.jpg

48659-194350cICG63.jpg.53b5bc46eebcb7b2b00fa5c54ce84a4f.jpg

48660-Neth191710GNGC65.jpg.72c05bf2ab127d16e4f548499385adf4.jpg

48661-scan0083.jpg.38ead75c1e018de5b4182c33fabacd8d.jpg

48662-scan0095.jpg.7c0ee04ae91f04c7f422c50a8dcdf2b9.jpg

I hope the last post was a joke. The toning may be a bit dark for some, but in the light looks nice. There is no PVC on the coin. BTW I paid MS63 + money for the coin and was happy to do so. The coins I traded him made this MS60 money for me.

I hate to rain on your parade Bruce, but the green on the reverse sure looks like pvc. If so, you got hosed.

And maybe I am just not lookin at yer coin right. I have never been a big fan of toned coins. Perhaps if I could see it in person my opinion would be different. I recall people sending coins off to TPG's in those vinyl flips and a coupla months later the green stuff would appear.

I hate to rain on your parade Bruce, but the green on the reverse sure looks like pvc. If so, you got hosed.

Looks like natural toning to me and attractive natural toning at that

And maybe I am just not lookin at yer coin right. I have never been a big fan of toned coins. Perhaps if I could see it in person my opinion would be different. I recall people sending coins off to TPG's in those vinyl flips and a coupla months later the green stuff would appear.

I think after 15-20 years in the slab it can be assumed that this is probably stable. If what you are interpreting as PVC were in fact that chemical, first off that much PVC would never get past any grader. It's just too much and too obvious, it would reek of shower curtain. Second, after 15 years in the slab it would have eaten a hole right through the coin. So you can bet its probably not PVC.

doh!

I just noticed that the grade had already been posted before I guessed. But honestly, I guessed MS-63 before I saw the image of the entire slab.

In hand James I bet you would not guess 63. Personally I like the coin for a high end 64. What the services would say could be interesting. I am not willing to risk it though. In the slab it stays. The cartwheel luster really dances around the coin in hand.

My opinion still stands. It would be nice if you could capture that luster you were talking about. The pics are very nice and clear but still make the coin look dull.

doh!

I just noticed that the grade had already been posted before I guessed. But honestly, I guessed MS-63 before I saw the image of the entire slab.

In hand James I bet you would not guess 63.

Very possible!

What led me to my initial guess of MS-63 was the tick in front of the lips, and what appear to be two or three superficial near-vertical scratches on the cheek, descending down from the back of Liberty's eye.

In my experience, this is one of the nicest-produced issues of the entire series, and there are some gorgeous examples available, as yours is. Please take none of my comments as a knock on the coin! Your excellent images portray a coin whose aesthetics greatly exceed technical considerations.

My opinion still stands. It would be nice if you could capture that luster you were talking about. The pics are very nice and clear but still make the coin look dull.

My thoughts exactly...I like the color but if the luster is subdued as it appears in the image......I don't like the coin per say and would not got higher than an MS63 on it even thought the coin is clean as far as marks go.

doh!

In hand James I bet you would not guess 63.

Very possible!

What led me to my initial guess of MS-63 was the tick in front of the lips, and what appear to be two or three superficial near-vertical scratches on the cheek, descending down from the back of Liberty's eye.

In my experience, this is one of the nicest-produced issues of the entire series, and there are some gorgeous examples available, as yours is. Please take none of my comments as a knock on the coin! Your excellent images portray a coin whose aesthetics greatly exceed technical considerations.

It is true that there are a good number of nice business strike Barber dimes to be had, many of them dated 1892. However, based upon the images provided and even considering the flaws that have been noted, this coin is better than MS63, all day long.

Feel free to call me stubborn, but I look at and handle many of them in grades MS63 through MS67. And the one this thread appears to blow away just about any of the MS63's and many of the MS64's I have seen.

Here's an NGC MS66 I recently sold:

10cent1892c.jpg

And here are two PCGS MS65's:

10cent1899s.jpg

10cent1899sr.jpg

10cent1911s.jpg

10cent1911sr.jpg

I'm glad you showed those pics Mark. I'm not familiar with these too much and looking at your pics and Bruce's gives me a better feeling of understanding the areas that look spotted. It looks like the norm for this type. My original guess was MS63 until you explained in an earlier post that spotting was normal for these. that's when I went up to MS64. I like the coin and still feel confident that it would make MS64. thanks again!