• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forgery Network

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard of the Forgery Network? It has a website. I've attached it. It seems like a good idea if legitimate. What do you think? There is also a group called IBSCC (International Bureau for the Suppression of Counterfeit Coins) but I have not found a web site for them yet. Something like this needs to be formed and/or supported by all collectors/dealers/organizations as long as it is legitimate.

Forgery Network

I've never heard of it but I checked it out. Seems to be ok site but just gives description of possible forged coins. Would be nice if it had examples and characteristics of some of the forgeries found.

I think that is what it is asking from the viewer for is examples of known forgeries to be uploaded. That is also the reason I worry about its authenticity as a forger could upload a lot of authentic coins to confuse the issue. I know this is needed but likened to some of wikipedia's misinformation-if anyone can add to its database then how legitimate is the info? Just me, I guess.

I hear ya Jim. I noticed it asks for donations to fund the site. This indicates to me that it is not a financially stable site and would not have the funds to purchase forged coins for it's own database. If relied solely on registered members contributions of coin pictures, then who knows if there would be any reliable info that someone could depend on.