• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newp...1873 Trade Dollar..thoughts...comments...

16 posts in this topic

I think maybe dipped at one time and re-toned. Don't see hairlines, look like die lines to me. Still looks to be about EF30-35 maybe. Not a bad trade dollar.

It looks like a solid AU example to me and if it's been cleaned I can't tell. I wonder if any of the dark patches of toning have etched into the coin's surfaces.

I posted ATS on this as well. Someone brought up the lines in the reverse field over the arrows. These seem to disappear when I tilt the coin..thoughts??

BTW.. my [crappy] images don't begin to capture the toned over mint luster in the devices on this piece.

Thanks for your comments...L

I posted ATS on this as well. Someone brought up the lines in the reverse field over the arrows. These seem to disappear when I tilt the coin..thoughts??...

That looks like hairlines or light scratches and not a big deal on a coin of that grade, especially if you can't see them well in-hand.

Thanks. I'd been looking for a nice Trade Dollar for a while and had somewhat resigned myself for either a 77-S or a 78-S... one of the higher mintage coins for my type set. I was pleasantly surprized when I came across this one today.

L

It's genuine, which is a big plus, and it's the first year of issue, which adds some interest.

I'd grade it EF because of the dark toning. If there is some luster coming up through the toning, it could make AU. And as far as I'm concerned the coin is essentially original or "orginal now."

The few hairlines I see don't bother me in the least. This is not a mint state coin so people need to back off some.

That's a solid AU coin. Not sure about the cleaned & retoned part. The toning looks kinda uneven for a retone. Unless there is something not showing up in the photo it looks like it would holder anywhere.

Nice find.

Philly coins are generally underrated. Sure, the 1877 is easy to find, and the 1876 I/I and I/II aren't hard, either. The 1873 and 1874 are hard to find nice, the 1875 I/II is harder, the 1875 I/I is harder still, and the 1876 II/II are truly rare (we're talking business strikes, folks).

It looks like a solid AU example to me and if it's been cleaned I can't tell. I wonder if any of the dark patches of toning have etched into the coin's surfaces.

Mark... I have access to a stereo-microscope. What would I be looking for?

BTW.. thanks for your comments.

Leo