• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A colorfully toned (obverse on an) 1882-P Morgan

30 posts in this topic

I like it......CAC sticker? :grin:
Yes, it has a CAC sticker and was previously graded AU58 by PCGS. :o

;)

Actually, due largely to the fact that my inventory is so small ,I haven't submitted any coins to CAC yet, though I plan to send a few in later next week.

Nice coin

And I'm impressed with your skill as a photographer these days.

Thank you, Taro.

Wanna bet those ain't Mark's photos? ;)
I'll take that bet! :grin: Those are indeed my images, and It shocked me as much as or more than it does you :o I have no idea how I got the color to show up so well, though the coin's strong luster isn't apparent.

;)

Actually, due largely to the fact that my inventory is so small ,I haven't submitted any coins to CAC yet, though I plan to send a few in later next week.

Ok you actually had me laughing out loud with that one lol lol lol lol

I find AU58 really hard to beleive.I wonder what caused it to be a AU58. Was this coin recognized higher and cracked and re submitted ot was it sent in for a review and upped to a MS 65?

I would think the former as AU58 to MS65 is a big skip.

Mark, please don't take this the wrong way as I value your opinions as much, if not more than anyone else here because of your experience. But I see you defending TPG's in posts alot saying "they usually get it right". And I understand that going from an AU58 to an MS65 is really no different than going from an AU58 to an MS62.

But how could they get this wrong in the first place? And if NOW they've got it right, how do we know that? What has changed that removed the possibility that the coin is, in fact, AU?

Just trying to understand the TPGs as more than subjective collectors. And I wonder how many more they make mistakes on.

I find AU58 really hard to beleive.I wonder what caused it to be a AU58. Was this coin recognized higher and cracked and re submitted ot was it sent in for a review and upped to a MS 65?

Sorry, I was joking with Shane about a previous grade (of AU58), based upon something he had written earlier. It appears that he knew that, but that others didn't.

Mark, please don't take this the wrong way as I value your opinions as much, if not more than anyone else here because of your experience. But I see you defending TPG's in posts alot saying "they usually get it right". And I understand that going from an AU58 to an MS65 is really no different than going from an AU58 to an MS62.

But how could they get this wrong in the first place? And if NOW they've got it right, how do we know that? What has changed that removed the possibility that the coin is, in fact, AU?

Just trying to understand the TPGs as more than subjective collectors. And I wonder how many more they make mistakes on.

Before I read your post I wrote this in reply to another poster:

Sorry, I was joking with Shane about a previous grade (of AU58), based upon something he had written earlier. It appears that he knew that, but that others didn't.

By the way, I think there is a HUGE difference between an AU58 going to an MS62, compared to an AU58 going to an MS65. Fortunately, that was not the case here, and I apologize for making the joke so private that it made people think I was serious.

Wanna bet those ain't Mark's photos? ;)
I'll take that bet! :grin: Those are indeed my images, and It shocked me as much as or more than it does you :o I have no idea how I got the color to show up so well, though the coin's strong luster isn't apparent.

Well then I apologize and congradulate you on the beautiful pictures!

As for why this came out the way that it did, I'm not sure, but I do know that sometimes, when a coin is slightly tilted to one side that pictures of coins with color come out very nicely. Instead of the light being reflected off the slab, it gets reflected off the coin and shows the color. Perhaps that's what happened here....Mike

Those are nice pictures, but for some reason I don't think there accurate, there a little bland, as in the color just doesn't jump out like I think it does in hand. Mark that wasn't a very funny joke to think a coin went from AU to MS-65, that's a TPG breaker.

Those are nice pictures, but for some reason I don't think there accurate, there a little bland, as in the color just doesn't jump out like I think it does in hand. Mark that wasn't a very funny joke to think a coin went from AU to MS-65, that's a TPG breaker.
As I had mentioned
I have no idea how I got the color to show up so well, though the coin's strong luster isn't apparent.
The obverse is very lustrous and flashy, though, as you noticed, it doesn't show up as such in the images.

I did and I LMAO based on what we were both thinking when he posted his response......Mark is a funny guy lol

Sweet Coin! Soon Mark you are going to pass up all the rest of us photographers.
Thanks Bruce. And I can only dream about passing up some of you guys in the photography department. :)

Sweet Coin! Soon Mark you are going to pass up all the rest of us photographers.
Thanks Bruce. And I can only dream about passing up some of you guys in the photography department. :)

I have no doubt you will pass us all up one day.

;)

Can't you just sticker them yourself? ;)

;)

Can't you just sticker them yourself? ;)

:whistle: