• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more "what if" question...

27 posts in this topic

Ok, this has probably been asked before I joined up here, so I'm sorry if I wasn't here for any previous responses.

You have your choice of only 1 coin that you may own. You MAY NEVER sell it but there is no limit to the amount you may spend.

1804 Dollar?

1913 "V" Nickel?

1907 "Double Eagle" HR Wire Rim?

Or any other? Elaborate...

Ok, this has probably been asked before I joined up here, so I'm sorry if I wasn't here for any previous responses.

You have your choice of only 1 coin that you may own. You MAY NEVER sell it but there is no limit to the amount you may spend.

1804 Dollar?

1913 "V" Nickel?

Or any other? Elaborate...

I've always wanted a 1907 high relief double eagle.

They are so expensive though, what like 15 grand? Jeez. In my dreams

But if I had no limit to the amount of money to spend I'd get the ultra high relief saint gaudens.

Ok, now this one IS a bit better to me. But I think it's one of the few gold coins that are more impressive. Because of the HR there's more depth and contrast. But it's still monotoned to me.

Gold coins ALWAYS look to me as if they were just dipped.

That's not a fair comparison.

$15,000 for the HR Saint

$5,000,000++ for the V Nickel

$?,???,??? for the 1804 dollar

They made many thousands of the saints, but only 5 1913 V nickels are known, and not many (if any) more 1804 dollars.

1804 Dollar?

1913 "V" Nickel?

There's no contest here for me. I'll take the 1913 nickel.

The 1804 was struck thirty years later, and they have never done anything for me. They barely fit the category of a "coin" to me (half-joking)! The 1907 High Relief is a masterpiece, but they are always available.

But the 1913 Liberty nickel, ah, that has an aura, a mystique that neither of the other coins can ever hope to have.

Just for kicks, the 1907 would be my second choice, though.

Why is it unfair? You cannot sell any of them anyhow. Give me the 1804 Silver Dollar.

No, but there are companies that will loan you money and use the coins you own as collateral. I'll take the 1913 5c because I could use the loan money to put together a complete set of Morgans and still have enough to spare to buy all of the DMPL's and toners I want. Then, I'd just default on the loan and they could repossess the nickel. No one can say that I ever sold it.

Chris

The 1804 dollar but only if it is an original and not one of the restrikes. The originals have an interesting storyand a somewhat legitemite reason for existing. The restrikes don't.

The 1913 is a fantasy all the way around.

And I sill don't like gold.

If the 1804 dollar is the restrike then maybe the 1913 nickel. At least I already have the rest of the set. Maybe make it the McDermott piece and I can start passing it around again.

Actually, my bad guys...

You DON'T have to choose ONLY one of those... I simply meant that you can have your choice of ONLY ONE coin to own, forever! Perhaps you already own it!

I’d have to go with the 1804. Then I could take out the 100 Greatest Coins book, point to the cover and say, “Yeah I got that one”

Wouldn't you need the Liberty nickel for that? Perhaps a different edition displayed the 1804 dollar on the cover. (shrug)

51x0CmG8hnL._SS500_.jpg

Myself, I would have to go with the 1804 dollar in this fantasy scenario, followed by the Liberty nickel and then the double eagle.

I think I'd hae to go with the Liberty Seated Dollar Tye 4 with Motto only 1 ever graded in PR68 Cameo. I remember seeing a picture of it once. It was simply the finest looking coin I have ever seen.

1804 dollar the first struck in 1834 or there-abouts

I thought there were some originals struck and the re-strikes were in 1835. Is this not accurate anymore?

no originals of the 1804 silver draped bust dollar struck in 1804

they are all restr8ikes novadels if you can call them that so ...................

the so called "original" 1804 dollars were first struck in 1834 for inclusion in the diplomatic proof sets and one went to the king of siam........... as since there were no silver dollars or ten dollar gold the last ones issued in 1803/1804 respectively, they restruck the ten dollar gold and silver dollar post dated to 1804

to promote the early usa as a potential trading world power partner for the lucrative orient trade market

I don't like worn coins (1913 Liberties) and I don't buy restrikes ( the 1804 dollar)--so I wouldn't waste my time with that junk :baiting:... :jokealert: Anyhow, since I can't resell the Liberty nickel and buy a 1907 Gaudens and an 1804 dollar---I'll go with the one I could look at evry day--the 1907 Super Extra High Relief Wire rim ( the very first one that was struck 20 times would work) St Gaudens (worship)

Darn. Was going to say the $20 since its a 1 year type and you can buy examples of the others easily. Have you ever held a high relief $20? Something about them just says buy me. Can I have mine in PR instead of MS please (awesome to behold) If i was limited to the three choices above. But my first choice would be one of the coins Judas was paid in. Not the type one of them (I know its impossible to authenticate one as such but thats the coins I would pick).

Hows that for a unique one that not many (if any) would mention.

Actually, my bad guys...

You DON'T have to choose ONLY one of those... I simply meant that you can have your choice of ONLY ONE coin to own, forever! Perhaps you already own it!

But my first choice would be one of the coins Judas was paid in. Not the type one of them (I know its impossible to authenticate one as such but thats the coins I would pick).

Hows that for a unique one that not many (if any) would mention

If your going to make that kind of wish, how about the denarius that Jesus held up and declared "Render unto Caesar . . ."?

But my first choice would be one of the coins Judas was paid in. Not the type one of them (I know its impossible to authenticate one as such but thats the coins I would pick).

Hows that for a unique one that not many (if any) would mention

If your going to make that kind of wish, how about the denarius that Jesus held up and declared "Render unto Caesar . . ."?

Right. There's only one of those while there's 30 of those Judas coins, making them relatively common. ;)

I was going to say the 1894-S dime in Proof 64 - just auctioned off last month and purchased by Legend Coin for a deep pocket collector for over $1.5 Million...yeah, I know, that's nothing compared to the 1913 Nickel and the 1804 Slver Dollar and the EX High Relief St Gaudens in Proof...however, my needs are much more modest.

This is the coin of my dreams...the first few images are of one of my coins,

the last image is the micro O image of that date, in the same condition as the first coin:

48633-1898oBarberHalfPCGS64obv.jpg.c30fcec077027f3edd82106adcfcaaea.jpg

48634-1898oBarberHalfPCGS64rev.jpg.ef5ece821c09a1566f21e18cad2bb4ff.jpg

48635-1898OhalfPCGS64.jpg.c3c22365dd0c5f531d74f5dd44f6bcc5.jpg

48636-1898oHalfPCGS64obvHolder.jpg.b35ec8bc2d0ed7de00c9cfbad1345f08.jpg

48637-1898microO.jpg.a60065d994044a0dfdc3cb85c1ce809b.jpg

I would like to own one of the "original" 1804 dollars. The King of Siam Proof set would be great! :acclaim:

I don't give a hoot about the "restrike" 1804 dollars because they were produced during a period of low ethical practices at the mint. Crooked mint employees made some the so-called restirke 1804 dollars at midnight and sold them under the table. Mint officials made other examples of the 1804 restrikes in the daytime and marketed them as “fully original coins” which they were not.

The 1913 Liberty nickel is a piece of junk. Samuel Brown, a crooked mint employee, illegally used U.S. mint equipment and stole the coin from the government. If I owned one, I’d sell it and buy a lot of “real coins” that deserve a place in my collection.

As the High Relief $20 gold, I already own one of those. To me that’s better coin than both the 1804 restrike dollar and the 1913 Liberty nickel put together. It was made and distributed legally.

Mint officials made other examples of the 1804 restrikes in the daytime and marketed them as “fully original coins” which they were not.

Even to the point of providing written and signed declarations that they were authentic dollars of 1804 struck in 1804. Even though they had had a hand in making them themselves