• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check this out - Not sure what to make of this one

9 posts in this topic

I am watching an auction and I noticed that the coin pictured is a 1943-S cent but the NGC holder says 1943-S 10C. I verified the cert number and it says the same thing.

So is the label wrong or is this tampering?

86660232_o.jpg

Could be either! Hard to tell from a pic. I would vote as to maybe a slabbed mistake with the coin being silver colored, may have been a long day for that person and thought it was a dime.

My first thought is that it was a typographical error, and the "0" key was hit by accident. I know how those long days of repetitive work can cause something like this to happen. You have 50 consecutive customers give you a $20 bill for change, and the 51st customer gives you a $10 bill and you start to make change for a $20 bill until you catch yourself..............hopefully!

Chris

That guy has a lot of higher grade moderns. I just sold off a ton of BU cent rolls. I'm thinking I should have cherry picked them and had a few graded. He's getting more for single coins than I got for the rolls!

Typo by the clerk entering the submission into the computer when it arrived. He typed it in, the computer printed a barcoded sticker which was placed on the flip. When the grader gets it he just scans in the barcode grades it and types in hi grade. He doesn't try and compare to make sure it matches the description, he's got another 800 coins to grade today. Now if he does happen to notice he can probably change it or make a note in the computer to have it changed, but I seriously doubt if he goes looking for mistakes.

In theory the finalizer should catch the error because he is the only one whose job is to actually see that the coin matches what the slab label says, but he is usually mostly concerned about whether or not the GRADE on the label matches the coin.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For any other date in the Lincoln Cent series that error would have been spotted due to the required color designation, but 1943 cents are unique in having none. The error has been fixed in our database.