• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the belief that a slab helps determine value a good thing for the hobby?

17 posts in this topic

As seen in this thread ATS. Is it a good thing for the hobby when so many people believe that merely changing the slab affects a coin's value? I'm not interested in the question as to, empirically speaking about the coin market, the value changes or not, but rather is it good that so many people apparently believe that it does. (Of course, if so many people do believe that, perhaps the belief is that what influences value.)

A willing suspension of disbelief is no less essential to the TPGs' roles in the coin market than to the enjoyment of action-adventure movies.

A willing suspension of disbelief is no less essential to the TPGs' roles in the coin market than to the enjoyment of action-adventure movies.

hm

Use your imagination.

Chris

Is the belief that a slab helps determine value a good thing for the hobby?

it is if you are one of the many pcgs forum members that buy raw dip send in/resubmit same coin in holder looking for upgrade and then sell for lots more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because of plastic perception

it is all a money making/promotion game

not good or bad just the way it is ats.......... well bad for the end users :makepoint:lol lol lol

As seen in this thread ATS. Is it a good thing for the hobby when so many people believe that merely changing the slab affects a coin's value? I'm not interested in the question as to, empirically speaking about the coin market, the value changes or not, but rather is it good that so many people apparently believe that it does. (Of course, if so many people do believe that, perhaps the belief is that what influences value.)

It isn't really good for the hobby, but it can be terrific for business. I make this statement from the standpoint of "monetary value" only. Slabs bring other value to the hobby that aren't measured in dollars.

as a collector and not a dealer--nothing pisses me off more than to see an ugly 67 sell for 3X what my nicer 65 is valued at....I believe somehow that there is a grading bias also. I don't know how--supposedly the graders don't know who the coins are from. Realistically, it would only take a phone call, whisper in the ear, uniquely marked flip etc etc...

To answer your question and end my rant, I wish more people bought the coin and not the grade on the holder--but I see the obvious upsides of having TPG's and slabs--especially in the sight unseen ask/bid

In general, who is more likely to overpay for a coin---the average collector who only buys raw coins or the average collector who only buys coins in top tier slabs? Obviously, an expert can do well buying either.

In general, who is more likely to overpay for a coin---the average collector who only buys raw coins or the average collector who only buys coins in top tier slabs? Obviously, an expert can do well buying either.

Define "overpay". If I am happy with my purchase for the price I paid then I didn't overpay irregardless of any so-called "market price". The OP asked about "good for the hobby" not "good for future return on investment". As such, I believe the answer is a resounding "NO."

Define "overpay". If I am happy with my purchase for the price I paid then I didn't overpay irregardless of any so-called "market price". The OP asked about "good for the hobby" not "good for future return on investment". As such, I believe the answer is a resounding "NO."

Overpay as in how much of your original purchase price can be gotten back should you have to sell the coin in case you needed the money for an emergency. If you can getback 80% of your purchase price, you probably didn't overpay. If you can only get back 50% or less of your original purcase price, you probably overpaid.

Overpay as in how much of your original purchase price can be gotten back should you have to sell the coin in case you needed the money for an emergency. If you can getback 80% of your purchase price, you probably didn't overpay. If you can only get back 50% or less of your original purcase price, you probably overpaid.

In this case your problem isn't that you overpaid; it is that you used funds which might be needed in an emergancy rather than disposable income. Again, the OP refers to HOBBY. Once you spend the money it's gone...just as if you spent it on a fine dining hobby or other entertainment.

it is if you are one of the many pcgs forum members that buy raw dip send in/resubmit same coin in holder looking for upgrade and then sell for lots more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because of plastic perception

it is all a money making/promotion game

not good or bad just the way it is ats.......... well bad for the end users

So you say it can be good for those who operate as a money making promotional type game for there personal enrichment, and bad for the end user who is just trying to further his collection. Since we are discussing if it is good for the HOBBY, I assume we can put you down as a NO then? :D

Slabs have improved the hobby as they have leveled the playing field considerably and helped liquidity.

However, many of our ATS Koolaid drinking friends are expert at making a fuss about nothing. Ultimately it is the coin which has value and will stand on its on merits - grading services may come and go or be replaced by some other methodology. Numismatic legends may exhaust their gluttony saturated, bloated, boring rhetoric. Message board coin guys (who would be laughed away from many a dealers shop or table) with their shrewd chicken pukey put downs and two faced lame spin will fade away.