• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with a MS65 SMS 2007 quarter???

14 posts in this topic

This is a joke altogether. Why would I spend the $12 grading fee + postage to grade an SMS coin while I can buy a better grade with less money?

Actually, this is a business strike. I guess professional graders can't even tell a SMS from BS.

Any thought?

As for me, I am looking forward to get this quarter back so I can crack it out and spend it for Christmas.

I will have it scanned as soon as I received the coin back from NGC.

But still what puzzles me is that how can the 'professionals' makes such a mistake - a BS coins identified as an SMS?

My 6yo daughter is an avid quarter collector, she'd be happy to find it a nice home in her piggy bank. She finds the shiniest ones and tries to sell them back to me for a large profit. It works too!!!

But still what puzzles me is that how can the 'professionals' makes such a mistake - a BS coins identified as an SMS?

Uh, because a lot of BS coins do look a lot like SF coins, and a lot of SF coins look like BS coins. So when they get a high grade coin that could potentially put their guarantee at risk for a high payout if it later gets downgraded, its safer to declare it to be a SF which are common and low value. This is often done with the 65 - 67 coins and it also happens with the 2005 and later coins.

It is, IF the SF coins show the finish well and IF the BS coins don't show a SF and are typical strikes. But there are also plenty of SF coins from mint sets out there that do NOT show the SF and there are BS strikes that do appear to show a SF and not a regular luster (Due to the possibility of retired SF dies being used for BS production.). For at least a while back in 2005 the TPG's would not indicate a coin as a SF unless it was submitted still in the mint set packaging because there were people who cut up the sets and submitted them only to have some come back SF and some BS. And there are people who cherry pick mint sets looking for pieces that DON'T show the SF well so they can submit them and try to get them designated as really top grade BS coins. Because as a BS coin they are worth more than a SF coin of the same grade.

Possibly they don't have the quality range with the 2007 sets that they had with the 2005 and 2006. I don't know, I don't pay that much attention to them.

Thank you both Basshog and Conder for your comments. See, I personally don't collect (either by submission or purchase) SF coins (post 2005). And I am with many other fellow collectors here believe in 'collect the coin, not the label'.

My intention is to have this 'pretty looking' slabbed (as with my many other coins). However, the grader thinks this is a low-quality SF coin (losing the satin), instead of a high graded BS (smooth surface with one tiny little mark on the rim). To me, the coin is pretty and I myself grades it at least a 67 (of course, it is a BS). So when this coin comes back, I will crack it out and store it in 2x2 flip. And wa-la, a nice looking Idaho quarter.

I understand grades are very subjective. I won't feel even a slight disappointment if it is points different because I am still leanring how to grade modern circulated coins. But in this case, the question is on a better BS coin gets a worse SF grade.

As I mentioned, I will have the coin scanned as soon as I received it.

But in this case, the question is on a better BS coin gets a worse SF grade.

And the simple answer is that even the grading services can't tell hem apart with a great deal of certainty. And since they have a greater liability calling it a high end BS, if they aren't absolutely sure, call it a low end SF.

But in this case, the question is on a better BS coin gets a worse SF grade.

And the simple answer is that even the grading services can't tell hem apart with a great deal of certainty. And since they have a greater liability calling it a high end BS, if they aren't absolutely sure, call it a low end SF.

I agree with that Condor!