• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to VAMs

7 posts in this topic

Hey, guys.

Been working on the organization of accumulated coins and the past several hours have been spent with the little VAM top 100 book that I purchased recently. Never really been interested in VAMs, but thought it would be fun to see if I had any of the top 100.

I have about 30 Morgans, most VF-XF. I definitely found 2. I found an 1882 O/S (VAM 4) and an 1889 O (VAM 6). That was fun.

However, I also found an 1884 S, nice XF piece, with a very odd mint mark. There is most definitely something going on under the S, but I find no listings in VAM or Breen about an 1884 S/? mint mark. I tried to scan it at 600dpi and will post here, but not sure if it will be clear enough to show the mint mark clearly. Any thoughts?

Hope your Thanksgiving was great, and have a super week.

RI AL

mintmark002.jpg

I think the most hardcore Vammers are ATS...and it takes a long time to get approved to be able to join their forums (see my tangent post, still waiting). I would try and post your question there if you can.

The mintmark appears flattened from considerable wear so it is difficult to tell from the photo. I couldn't find anything on VAMWorld, but I am at work right now so I don't have access to the "Bible". I can check it when I get home about midnight if nobody else does before then.

Chris

The mintmark appears flattened from considerable wear so it is difficult to tell from the photo. I couldn't find anything on VAMWorld, but I am at work right now so I don't have access to the "Bible". I can check it when I get home about midnight if nobody else does before then.

Chris

Al, I just checked the VAM Book, and the only one that might be a possibility is the VAM3.

Reverse C3c - IV S mint mark is repunched with original showing as a short spike of metal at top of upper loop opening and a vertical spike of metal at left of the lower loop opening.

I enlarged your photo 400% and it does look like there could be something inside of the loops, but the enlargement is very grainy for me to be positive. Considering the condition of the coin, you might need to examine it under a microscope to be absolutely sure.

Chris

Good morning, Guys.

Thanks so much for the info on my VAM question. I am totally new to this VAM stuff and won't collect by VAM varities, but I was surprised at how I found 2 (possibly 3) in a batch of 30 pieces. Was I lucky...or is this pretty typical? The other 2 pieces are definitely1882 O/S VAM 4 and 1899 O Vam 6. Kind of exciting.

I did check the 1884 S under magnification and that's how I found that mint mark thing. Chris, the description you kindly sent (thank you) doesn't match. This one has the vertical line in the lower loop, and the top loop is filled. Wish I could get a better picture...maybe someday when I get one of those magnify computer thingies...

Going to vamworld.com as suggested in another much appreciated post.

Many thanks.

RI AL

Was I lucky...or is this pretty typical?

Typical....

Having flirted with VAM collecting for a time, I hope you won't mind my sharing my experiences/observations...

First off, I suspect that the true rarity of most VAMs are overstated.

Secondly, most of the price guides I've seen are overly optimistic.

Third, most VAM collectors prefer to cherrypick them. Try and sell any except the most popular and you will find out this yourself.

I believe strongly that "to each his own" when it comes to collecting, so if VAM collecting makes you excited, more power to you -- but please go into it with your eyes open.

Respectfully submitted...Mike