• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now an outstanding commemorative half dollar design

3 posts in this topic

Let's be fair. Earlier I posted a commemorative half dollar design that I thought was atrocious. There have been some very good to excellent commemorative half dollar designs, and here is one of them. I think that five out of six of the Statue of Liberty designs were quite good. The one I did not care for was the reverse of the Silver Dollar.

I think that this half dollar by Edgar Steever IV and Sherl Winter is outstanding. It's hard to put a decent landscape of seascape on a coin in low relief, and I think this design works beautifully. The only things that disappoint me about this coin are (1) It's not in silver and (2) It should have been a silver dollar. Other than that this deserves are really big 893applaud-thumb.gif

272909-SmStatureofLib.JPG.7fd9d66de424b933ed74ae198af25986.JPG

Agreed. I really like the woodcarved look of the seascape. I also agree that it should have been silver. I also like the detail of the 90 Ike reverse, but the obverse is boring.

I too like this coin. Over time, many of the proof versions have acquired a pleasant (and natural, I might add) golden patina. Another nice thing about the proof coin is that so many were sold (some 6.9 million and change) that nice examples are relatively inexpensive in both raw and certified formats.

Beijim