• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

possible three coins for your long term collection---choose ONE only and WHY??

17 posts in this topic

you got your choice to obtain only one of three coins for you to keep long term in your collection and each is valued approximately the same

which ONE do you choose and WHY? hm

1-------- a nice lusterous original dove grey uncleaned/not dipped large planchet 1652 pine tree shilling that is a nice xf++/au and also a little better variety with the backwards N in england on a full weight planchet with full borders and legends both sides and with the original slight S-wave from being struck by rocker dies and never flattened/pressed in its life---and great eye appeal and yes the coin is graded in a pcgs/ngc holder $8700.00

2-------- a nice red gold toned original uncleaned/not dipped capped bust to right with stars quarter eagle 1807 that has great eye appeal and a solid really nice vf with claims to xf on the reverse and yes the coin is graded in a pcgs/ngc holder $8800.00

3------- a really choice xf++/au totally thick skinned lusterous original uncleaned/not dipped blue green dove grey 1794 half dime with a die state that is rarity-4 with full rims/fully struck and no problems, great eye appeal and yes the coin is graded in a pcgs/ngc holder $8400.00

again which do you choose and why??????????????????????????????

First of all the gold piece is out of the running. I have just never liked gold and I don't feel there is anything "special" about the coin.

The half dime is tempting. Classic design and one of the first dated us coins. (I say dated because although they are dated 1794, they were struck in 1795.)

But I think I would have to go with the pine tree shilling. One of the first silver coins struck in this country and the issue just has so many interesting stories to go with it. The early NE pieces and the crude willow and oak tree issues before I was more standardized, the colonist's use of the political turmoil in England as their excuse and justification for beginning coinage, the maintaining of the same date for over 30 years to maintain that myth, How Charles II 's anger was appeased with a good story. Then there is how the coins were made and the visible impressions those methods left. And of course the story of witch pieces. I'll take the shilling. Just send the bill to someone else.

3------- a really choice xf++/au totally thick skinned lusterous original uncleaned/not dipped blue green dove grey 1794 half dime with a die state that is rarity-4 with full rims/fully struck and no problems, great eye appeal and yes the coin is graded in a pcgs/ngc holder $8400.00

If I had to pick from only this three, it is a no brainer. The pine tree(IMHO) looks akin to the thousands of ancient coins that are readily available for little or nothing.

I have never liked gold coinage any more than gold bullion(in fact, I think that a lot of gold bullion has far better strikes and images than gold coins). The half dime is a true first coin that has great eye appeal(especially in the condition noted) and is probably one of the most sought after coins minted by US. I cannot imagine very many selecting either of the two remaining coins, except die hard gold collectors and anything colonial collectors. The 1794 half dime would be a far more appreciated coin to have by any type collector. Again, this is just my opinion.

Given that this is play money I'd drop the gold because, all things considered, I prefer coins in better condition.

Both the PT and the '94 would do it for me. I suspect that the 1/2 dime would appreciate more over time. However, I'm not a big fan of 1/2 dimes and own no colonial currency so purely as a collector as opposed to an investor I'd go for the PT.

2-------- a nice red gold toned original uncleaned/not dipped capped bust to right with stars quarter eagle 1807 that has great eye appeal and a solid really nice vf with claims to xf on the reverse and yes the coin is graded in a pcgs/ngc holder $8800.00

This is the only coin that would fit in my current transition-year type collection (along with the bust to left).

I would choose #2, with #3 being a close runner up.

I love early gold, but I also dig 18th century coins and have always found the 1794 half dime to be quite charming. I have never been drawn to the Pine Tree Shilling, while I do see the historical attraction and reason for their popularity.

Wow, did someone leave you a $9,000 inheritance and you just can't decide?

I would like to own one of the 1st issues of this country, but it can't be anything named "shilling". We call them cents or pennies, nickels and dimes. And I could never spit out that detailed description. I was out of breath just reading it!

I can't choose the gold either. Something about a worn out gold piece just doesn't sit well with me (might be those 2 gold rings in my safe from previous marriages gone bad).

Easy choice, the 1/2 dime... even without the pics, it's BEAUTIFUL!

Wow, did someone leave you a $9,000 inheritance and you just can't decide?

i wish :foryou: but we can dream cant we :angel: well i am happy to be alive and have a computer and be on these forums and be able to study and apprecaite coinage and be standing upright and taking in sustance

well actually i saw these three coins and i loved them and since i do not have a camera and cant take photos i described them as best as i can... you got to use your imagination :cloud9:

and since all are close to 10k i thought interestibng coins to see how collectors tastes are and which one would they choose hm

no right or wrong answers just a collectors preference

my preference is for all three lol

hmmmmmmmmmmm i guess i would take the........................... hm i just cant deside

myself the gold coin looks much better in hand same with the pine tree and the half dime is quite nice, i think any of these coins have a fundemential reason to rise in demand and currently all are value buys

It's taken me quite a while to come to an answer for this question and I believe I am envious of the folks who appear to know immediately the coin that they would choose. hm As my collection is currently built I already have two similar coins to those listed as the choices and these include a small planchet 1652 Pine Tree Shilling (Noe-19; R5) in PCGS VF25 and a 1798 (small 8) Half Eagle in PCGS VF20. While I hesitate to consider either coin completely original they are both mighty close and this represents a state far closer to original than 99.9% of similar extant pieces. Therefore, the simple answer to this question would be that I would want the 1794 half dime, however, I take into account more considerations than simply obtaining new types.

The Pine Tree Shilling offered in the thread has at least one seriously cool attribute that I think many are not appreciating and that is the S-wave planchet. Folks, this variety was made this way and I would bet that most of the remaining population have at one time had the S-wave pushed down in an attempt to "fix" the coin and make it an easier sale. The large planchet coins are also earlier issues, if I remember correctly, and were made between 1667-1674 before the planchets were made smaller and thicker so that they would be consistent with English coinage. The smaller planchet coins were made until 1682. Regardless, both are incredibly important, historical items. The apparently original surfaces along with full borders and full legends would be the icing on the cake for this coin and the price of such a piece at $8,700 seems to me to be a bargain.

The early quarter eagles are tough coins and the 1807 issue, which is a subtype of the first major design type for the denomination, has an original mintage that is nearly identical to the 1796 quarter (6,812 for the 1807 vs. 6,146 for the 1796). The 1796 quarter, however, has two things going for it that the 1807 quarter eagle does not and these include that it was the first offering from the US Mint for the denomination and that it is a one-year type coin. Even though the 1807 quarter eagle would have to be considered the "generic" coin, and the term is used loosely here, for the series it is likely that fewer of this issue survive than the 1796 quarter. These early quarter eagles were often given as gifts or used in jewelry at some point in their history and few were taken care of with any thought as to their historical significance. The real kicker here would be the red-gold tone of an undipped and uncleaned piece, which would make the coin likely fall into the top 1% of the extant pieces. At $8,800 I would buy all of these that were offered to me.

The last coin mentioned is the 1794 half dime and the description reads as though the coin has a thick protective skin that is just the right blend of black, navy, green, brown and grey. Again, this is the first issue for the denomination and the 1795 pieces are considered the "generic" coins for this two-year type. In my experience, the 1794 coinage is far tougher to obtain than the 1795, especially if one is to look for an apparently original coin. A fully struck half dime of this type is also a neat trick to be able to produce since these often lacked all breast feathers or substantial hair details. This coin also has going for it the ability to be placed into a US type set that excludes gold, which is something that should not be immediately dismissed since many folks attempt such sets. At this level of preservation, one would really be able to see what the early Mint was attempting to produce and at "only" $8,400 it seems to me that this is a reasonable price.

So, which would I choose? hm I would try to find a way to buy all three, but if push came to shove then I would have to decide between the 1807 quarter eagle and the 1794 half dime. My knee-jerk reaction is to go with the quarter eagle, but the more I think of it the more the half dime wins out. Truly, this would be a matter of seeing the coins in-hand.

Although frustrating, I liked this question very much and believe it adds great value to the boards. (thumbs u