• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Brown" coppers ae underrated

47 posts in this topic

Some really gorgeous Lincolns in there. The others are great too, don't want you to feel left out. But those Lincolns. The TPG's are going to have to add some more designations just for those. MS66GR, MS66BL... how abour MS66PURP...lol.

66RB... don't you wish you could find a Lincoln Cent where the bust looked like that one on the pic you posted? What is that, if I might ask... a plaque?

I gave up Lincolns years ago because the REDs got too expensive. I have decided to get back into them, with a lean towards Browns!

moovyz, the plaque that ldhair posted is something I would LOVE to get. Unfortunately, they are very popular and seem to go in the low 4-figure range (even in BN :/ ) which is a bit pricey for me.

This is a great thread for a new collector like me. It's nice to realize that brown cents are OK to buy, because I'm drawn to them over the reds. Just out of curiosity, is the brown/red distinction a function of luster, or is it considered something different?

Is the brown/red distinction a function of luster, or is it considered something different?

This pertains to color not lustre.

Red

Term used for a copper coin that still retains 95 percent or more of its original mint bloom or color (RD).

Red-Brown

A copper coin that has from 5 to 95 percent of its original mint color remaining (RB).

Brown

The term applied to a copper coin that no longer has the red color of copper. There are many "shades" of brown color – mahogany, chocolate, etc. (abbreviated as BN when used as part of a grade).

Luster

In numismatics, the amount and strength of light reflected from a coin’s surface or its original mint bloom. Luster is the result of light reflecting on the flow lines, whether visible or not.

B1820N66BN.jpg

B1820N66BNR.jpg

That's one of the cleanest and most attractive Randall Hoard large cents I've ever seen. Very nice, Tom...Mike

WOW, NIce, fantastic, beautiful and amazing.

Rey

Two of these are actually designated RB by PCGS. The other 5 are BN. Can you guess which?

mplmontage.jpg

could you please mail these to me so I could study them in hand, before I give you my answer?

pm sent

#4 and #6???

#4 and #5 are both designated as RB although one could argue that perhaps all but 1 or 2 could be RB. Not that it really makes a difference as the coins speak for themselves, but it does speak for the objectivity of grading copper.