• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was ANACS cleaned now PCGS AU - Maybe?

13 posts in this topic

I believe this coin http://cgi.ebay.com/1865-SEATED-LIBERTY-SILVER-DOLLAR-COIN-PCGS-AU-50_W0QQitemZ160181235896QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11977QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD9VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting was in a ANACS cleaned holder about a year ago. The reason I think that is I was out bid for it on ebay. I could be wrong but it is a dead ringer for the one in the ANACS net graded holder.

Even if it is not the same coin it has obviously been cleaned and I'm amazed it is in a PCGS holder.

TDN is absolutely correct; both NGC and PCGS will silently net grade 18th and 19th century coinage in order to get these pieces into their holders.

We are all familiar with the ANACS net grade holders and these would be considered obviously or openly net graded. That is, a coin receives a "details" grade and then what might be considered a "values" grade. Such a case might be "AU50 Details-Net VF35" where the net grade may be thought of as the market value of the coin. However, PCGS and NGC do not employ this paradigm for grading coinage, yet they want the tougher, early Federal coinage in their holders. To accomplish this they will silently net grade a coin. For example, a lightly cleaned coin that has surfaces that would earn it a bag if it were a common date WQ or WLH will be certified if it is a tougher coin such as a DB or FH dollar. In these cases the coin might have EF40 details, lets say, but the holder will say VF30 without any mention of the problem. This happens quite frequently and I believe it confuses folks who do not realize they are looking at a problem coin when they simply think a coin is undergraded.

Exactly. In fact, I would assert that the majority of classic coins that collectors think are undergraded in TPG holders have been silently net graded for a problem that the collector doesn't recognize.

Exactly. In fact, I would assert that the majority of classic coins that collectors think are undergraded in TPG holders have been silently net graded for a problem that the collector doesn't recognize.

Well said & worth repeating. It took me a while to figure this out, but I couldn't agree more...Mike

The TPG's net grade 18th & 19th century coinage all the time.

tradedollarnut tradedollarnut

Will Work for Superb Trade Dollars

Loc: Washington State

(thumbs u

I am not sure I totally understand, can someone please elaborate.

Rey

Rey, when you right down to it, every grade is a "net grade". Most of the time, we hope the net is due to normal circulation, but sometimes, other factors come into play - cleaning, weak strike, faulty planchet, bad color, rim dings, etc.

I suspect that ANACS "net graded" coins get crossed over into PCGS, NGC and yes, even ANACS non-net graded holders far more often than we might expect.

I am just into the Morgans and have picked up some good ones but I was looking at some Raw Morgans I have in an Album and looked at them with a loupe and found about eight that look as nice if not nicer than some that are MS65 in a PCGS/NGC Holder.

I am just into the Morgans and have picked up some good ones but I was looking at some Raw Morgans I have in an Album and looked at them with a loupe and found about eight that look as nice if not nicer than some that are MS65 in a PCGS/NGC Holder.

Can you post photos of them?

Chris