• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okie koin kids please help concerning capped bust right w/stars quarter eagles

14 posts in this topic

why are the total mintages so tiny as compaired to the capped bust right with stars eagles and half eagles?? hm

and being the only coin type where the reverse dieof this quarter eagle type was used for a totally different demonination and metal use ie. the draped bust dimes

these quarter eagles seem to be never talked about on these boards, why is that? hm as they are a beautiful historical series :cloud9:

and i see the myth of the 1802/1 quarter eagle is finally debunked as the coin is just an 1802 with a funny shaped 2, never looked like a 2/1 to me hm

would you consider getting one of these coins for your type set collection??

hm

most melted by the early 1830's hm and why was that hm

I love the design and hope someday to acquire one for my collection. They are less available than the $10's and more expensive than the $5's, and this keeps them out of the hands of collectors. The 1796 No Stars is my favorite of all, but try getting into one for under $100k!

Obviously, the mint never produced double eagles until California hit the mother lode. The gold work horse had always been the quarter eagle. The half eagle (somewhat) and the eagle were largely used as a store of money in banks. As a result, many of the higher denomination gold coins were shipped overseas to pay debt which were ultimately melted. Entrepreneurs would also melt early gold coins since gold spot was slightly more than face value.

Since the higher denominations were either shipped overseas or melted for profit and the quarter eagles were also lost due to attrition in circulation as well as being melted, these coins are very scarce today.

The mint lowered the gold content of the quarter and half eagle in 1834 which makes these coins more available today. Yet, they are much scarcer than most may believe. And to be able to find an original example with a thick skin is a very difficult task indeed.

48158-00.jpg.e1e19910b326ac922eb36c2d481d45c2.jpg

I can't afford capped bust quarters, not to mention quarter eagles. Old gold (pre-Gaudens) really doesn't get discussed too much here, for some reason. Probably not enough collectors with deep enough pockets to really collect the series.

Probably not enough collectors with deep enough pockets to really collect the series.

I have my pockets custom-stitched to shorten them when I go to coin shows.

Chris

My father used to have an 1834 Quarter Eagle No Motto that he purchased in the 50's for around $20.00. Boy what an appreciation between then and now. He sold it along with some other nice gold coins at auction in the 70's.

He also apparently had an 1802 "over 1" Half Eagle that he recorded as being bought for $95.00 in the 50's. He also had an 1812 Half Eagle purchased for $95.00 and the Larger Head 1813 purchased for $125.00, and an 1834 Plain 4 Half Eagle purchased for $35.00. Unfortunately I do not know how much they sold for at auction.

This is the oldest Quarter Eagle left in the collection, an 1843 C.

Rey

184320C20Quarter20Eagle20AU205020De.jpg

184320C20Quarter20Eagle20AU20502-1.jpg

A real man would collect these by die variety. :grin:

1804_quarter_eagle_obv.jpg1804_quarter_eagle_rev.jpg

1802_quarter_eagle_n60_obv.jpg1802_quarter_eagle_n60_rev.jpg

Michael, I have no idea the answers to your question, but I would be blessed to have even an AG capped bust right quarter eagle, and I don't care how many stars it has. :) Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving...>Mike

A real man would collect these by die variety. :grin:

1804_quarter_eagle_obv.jpg1804_quarter_eagle_rev.jpg

1802_quarter_eagle_n60_obv.jpg1802_quarter_eagle_n60_rev.jpg

Michael, I have no idea the answers to your question, but I would be blessed to have only one of the gorgeous capped bust right quarter eagles, and I don't care how many stars it has. :) Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving...>Mike

I thought a real man used Red Man????????????

Chris

thanks mike a had a great thanksgiving.................thanks

and victor a true au 5 dollar classic head and original also one of the few i have seen as such in the last year or so (thumbs u

the quarter eagles being small and also really rare compaired to the half eagles and even eagles of the same era tend to not be as popular

but they are terribly undervalued

for the large eagle with stars obverse for all dates

the quarter eagle has a total mintage of 18,524

the half eagle has a total mintage of 316,867

the eagle has a total mintage of 119,248

a huge difference and also the 1807 is almost 40% of the total mintage of

the large eagle with stars obverse so this makes the quarter eagle much MUCH RARER THAN EITHER THE HALF EAGLE OR EAGLE

combined with melting the quarter eagle for the price makes a great choice to buy at least one coin for type :cloud9:

most are in the vf to xf/au range

and try to find one that has original undipped non stripped good looking surfaces with great eye appeal and there are few coins available and still a great vlaue as compaired to the same grade for the half eagle and eagle

why are the total mintages so tiny as compaired to the capped bust right with stars eagles and half eagles??

Common belief is that many of the coins were mainly used for the storage of value by the depositors and not really circulation. Larger denominations would be easier to handle and store rather than dealing with a lot of smaller coins. This is the same reason why the dollar and then half dollar mintages were large for the silver coins.

being the only coin type where the reverse dieof this quarter eagle type was used for a totally different demonination and metal use ie. the draped bust dimes

Well the sizes of those two coins almost matched exactly and since neather had large mintages, why make two batches of dies of the same size and design, neather of which was going to be used untill worn out. With shortages of die steel why waste it?

these quarter eagles seem to be never talked about on these boards, why is that? as they are a beautiful historical series

Because there are very few people who collect them probably.

most melted by the early 1830's and why was that

In the early 1830's gold was rising in value and then in 1834 the weight of the gold coins were reduced. This made all of the older coins worth more than their face value for metal than as money. About 5% more. A pre1834 quarter eagle would be worth about 12 cents more than face. That doesn't sound like much, but it was the equivilent of about an hours wage or about the same as seven to twelve dollars in todays money

thanks conder101

but as an early gold type collector you still need this coin for type hm

also how many pre 1808 quarter eagles do you think; conder; survuve from the total original mintage of about 18,000?? hm

It's hard to say, I've never paid too much attention to them so I don't know ow frequently they show up. Or seen rarity estimates for the various varieties. But most of the other very early coins tend to have survival rates of between 1.5 and 3%. That would be between about 270 and 550 pieces. Since the gold was of higher value even small changes in value represented significant power so I would think that the survival would be more towards the lower end of the scale, so probably 270 to 400 pieces.

(Now someone will probably post TPG census reports that show I'm out in left field.)