• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should CAC sticker a properly graded coin that has ANACS net grade, yet impaired

19 posts in this topic

According to others here they claim that CAC is only attesting to the "solidity" of the grade so if ANACS said it was a MSXX and CAC agreed that it was an MSXX then I would think so unless they have published that they will not grade such coins such as agreeing with the grade but with details.

In the Registry here NGC will not allow anybody to enter an error coin so even if I have a 1987 MS69 A.S.E with a struck thru error I am not allowed to enter it in the regular Registry.

No. An ANACS net-graded coin is a 'problem' coin that was given a (lower) grade for the purpose of assigning an approximate value in the marketplace. CAC's reason for being is to assist dealers (and, secondarily, collectors) in identifying coins that are solid for their grades. Net-graded coins don't fit the bill, since they are, in effect, so low-end that buyers wouldn't accept them unless they were downgraded for pricing purposes.

CC---OK, I lost my self-control for a moment and had to toggle the display of your post---your use of the word 'lucid' is sheer chutzpah. I have yet to see ONE post from you that is anything but an incoherent rant.

This will teach me not to toggle.

After going to Baltimore and seeing one dealer with a serious inventory of CAC stickered slabs, my opinion is "who cares." I have not seen market acceptance and in my informal survey, collective shrug from those I spoke with. Eventually, the market will decide, and I think it's off to the right start.

Scott :hi:

CAC is only looking at NGC and PCGS coins for now and we all know they never slab problem coins. Yea, right.
Based on that comment and another one you made on the PCGS forum recently, I now think you were being a troll in the other thread here where you made a negative comment, received replies and then said you were joking.

So if ANACS has slabbed a coin that hey say is au "cleaned" then it really isn't an AU coin .I have a 1987 Silver Eagle with a strick thru error graded as a MS69 by NGC. This is not actually an MS69?

If CAC is grading only on the Solidity of the grade then it would seem to me that in the case of a "Cleaned" AU that people would did on the coin and adjust the price of a "cleaned" AU as opposed to an AU graded by the same company with a coin of the same type and grade of a coin that has not been cleaned.

So if ANACS has slabbed a coin that hey say is au "cleaned" then it really isn't an AU coin .I have a 1987 Silver Eagle with a strick thru error graded as a MS69 by NGC. This is not actually an MS69?

If CAC is grading only on the Solidity of the grade then it would seem to me that in the case of a "Cleaned" AU that people would did on the coin and adjust the price of a "cleaned" AU as opposed to an AU graded by the same company with a coin of the same type and grade of a coin that has not been cleaned.

Lest we forget, CAC is not a grading company - it's stickering coins that it will make a subsequent sight unseen market in. No company in its right mind would attempt to make a sight unseen market in net graded problem coins.

Perhaps you could get CC to start one...

I beleive that I said that they were graded on the Solidity of the grade so if a coin was MS69 by NGC or PCGS and CAC put a sticker on it then they were certifying it as being MS69.

SO if ANACS syas that it is an AU coin that has been cleaned then I would think that if a person wanted the coin that they would bid on it and subtract a certain value for it being cleaned.

In the instance of the 1987 A.S.E that I have graded MS69 by NGC with the Struck thru error I have been told that such errors are not uncommon but that they arent common in MS69 so I could probably get at least $100.00 for it.

This brings me back to my original question.If CAC refuses to sticker the MS69 then does it mean it isn't a MS69 Solidity?Does it mean that the other example isn't an AU. In one case there is a loos of value and in the other there is a gain in value.One is an error coinand can't qualify for a regular Registry an the other is a detail. Both could be considered problem coins.

Either CAC validates the solidity of the grade or they do it with exceptions.Which is it? I said nothing about them grading coins.