• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"I saw this coin and decided to hell with my rules!"

20 posts in this topic

"It did not take me long to realize that this coin was right for my type set. I'm trying to do either first or last year of issue. I saw this coin and decided to hell with my rules!"

I saw the preceding quote in a post on the PCGS forum and loved it. I don't think there should be any "rules" regarding what or how a collector collects. If that means not filing a hole in an album because the coin would be too expensive and/or the collector doesn't care about it, so be it. If that means buying duplicates of one date or type (because the collector falls in love with two or more of them) and bypassing another date or type because none of them tickle his fancy, good for him. And so on.

As I like to say - don't be a slave to your collecting. Collect whatever you want and "to hell with my rules". :)

That must be from Tootawl regarding his Seated dollar. He showed me that coin at Baltimore and spoke nearly the same phrase. By the way, the coin is superb.

That must be from Tootawl regarding his Seated dollar. He showed me that coin at Baltimore and spoke nearly the same phrase. By the way, the coin is superb.
Correct, Tom. Here is the thread in question, which I meant to link earlier: See here

I don't think there should be any "rules" regarding what or how a collector collects.

What you're proposing is just another rule. ;) Seriously, perhaps "rule" isn't the right word, but I think there's a lot of value in setting limits and goals -- no matter what they might be -- to guide one's collecting. For example, one rule is to not buy a coin when one doesn't understand it or lacks the ability to fairly assess its value. A self-imposed restriction like this certainly saves more in regret than it costs in pleasure. Rules serve a purpose.

A corollary is to buy a nice coin that does not "fit", just because you like it, and then establish a new collecting mission to justify the purchase. Often, this brings in coins that you would not have considered before, and one easily loses interest in the new direction, dumping the coins purchased to go along with the original coin that did not fit.

I am not sure that I have articulated this point well, but I have made the mistake and have seen others make it to. Better to just enjoy the coin for what it is and return to the regularly scheduled program.

I must agree. In college a couple of friends and I would usually end a conversation with a one word saying that ended in ...whachalike. As in "dowhachalike" or "eatwhachalike", "grabwhachalike, drink, etc you get the point. The concept is there are many many things that may grab your attention and if you are too rigid you will miss out. I believe coins are not the exception. Disclaimer for the YN: this is not to say you should not study, act properly, pay your taxes, and save for retirement.

If I saw that coin, I would have said the hell with my rules too!!! :cloud9:

I must admit that my "rule breakers" are among my favorite coins....

In one instance it was a coin that was "out of my normal price range". The coin was simply too amazing to pass up (satin proof buffalo nickel).

In another instance it was a coin that didn't really "fit" into my collection, but was a coin I had always wanted to own (Isabella quarter).

So maybe I should really break my own rules more often too.......Mike hm

Most of us have done this same thing. It was a super pickup!! (thumbs u

In another instance it was a coin that didn't really "fit" into my collection, but was a coin I had always wanted to own (Isabella quarter).

:)

"It did not take me long to realize that this coin was right for my type set. I'm trying to do either first or last year of issue. I saw this coin and decided to hell with my rules!"

I saw the preceding quote in a post on the PCGS forum and loved it. I don't think there should be any "rules" regarding what or how a collector collects. If that means not filing a hole in an album because the coin would be too expensive and/or the collector doesn't care about it, so be it. If that means buying duplicates of one date or type (because the collector falls in love with two or more of them) and bypassing another date or type because none of them tickle his fancy, good for him. And so on.

As I like to say - don't be a slave to your collecting. Collect whatever you want and "to hell with my rules". :)

But ... but ... but ... aren't there exceptions to every rule hm ?

:applause:

I agree with your comment about not letting a previously established rule prevent you from the collecting coins that really appeal. The trouble is sometimes financial considerations prevent you from keeping some of the coins you like.

Right now I have a 1795 Flowing Hair dollar and an 1836 Gobrecht dollar that I have upgraded. I really should sell off both because I still have a few type coins I need to finish my set. In a sense the two coins are duplicates, but I like them. The 1795 has the three leaf reverse while the coin I'm keeping is a two leaf example. The Gobrecht is probably a restrike while the one I’m keeping is an original. So the surplus coins are not exactly duplicates but … hm(shrug)

Enjoying the hobby is what motivates me to seek out things that I like. I do have standards for specific collections such as Capped Bust Halves, the Dansco 7070 type set to name two. However, I have a lot of fun searching through boxes of coins finding examples that are interesting, beautiful to my eyes and very affordable. I've had more enjoyment seeking coins that I like and not conforming to anyone else's expectations or approval. Of course it is nice when someone admires my coins but that is not why I collect what I do. When the joy is gone from collecting then I need to find a new hobby.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think that Mark's advice makes sense for the more advanced collector, but not for the inexperienced collector. An inexperienced collector who buys on a whim what most strikes his fancy will likely end up with a pig-in-a-poke. The advice might do more harm than good depending upon the audience.

I agree with the advice without reservation insofar as it means that we should each collect what we want and how we want without regard to custom or other outside influences.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think that Mark's advice makes sense for the more advanced collector, but not for the inexperienced collector. An inexperienced collector who buys on a whim what most strikes his fancy will likely end up with a pig-in-a-poke. The advice might do more harm than good depending upon the audience.

I agree with the advice without reservation insofar as it means that we should each collect what we want and how we want without regard to custom or other outside influences.

Fair point. (thumbs u

My sentiments exactly. Good point.

Yeah...I'm always finding myself saying "To hell with Mark's rules" every time I see a nice coin.

:devil:

jom