• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 Bullion -- One or Two Collectible Coins?

5 posts in this topic

In honor of the 20th anniversary of the Bullion Coinage Progam, the W mintmark was used on both the proof and regular strikes of the bullion coins in 2006. This was the first time in many years, if I'm not mistaken, that proof coins aren't distinguishable from regular strikes by mintmark. Interestingly, for older coins where there were proofs and regular strikes of coins with the same mint mark, Yeoman's Red Book lists both coins on one line, giving the impression that its more or less just a different grade of coin. I think I've read that Eliasberg collected his complete set this way, meaning either a proof or a business strike of a certain date and mintmark was sufficient for him to check-off that coin. But, the Red Book now has separate line items for the proof and business buillion coins in 2006. In other words, there's an internal inconsistency in how the Red Book treats these coins from older coins of the same situation.

This bugs me a bit, because I use the Red Book as my "checklist" for how many "different" US coins I have, and now it's kind of screwy. What do you all think I should do?

The 2006 Bullion strike SAE, the 2006 W Uncirculated coin, and the 2006 W Proof coin are 3 distinct collectable coins and one is not to be confused with the other. The same is true for 2007.

As mentioned, the three coins have different finishes that will not likely be confused easily by someone familiar with the series. Collect them as you like, which is the best way to collect any coins.

The Redbook has many internal inconsistancies.

What he is saying is that in older series such as say the 1942-P war nickel the business strike and the proof are both covered with a single line item listing in the book. Two different finishes but only a single listing. On the 2006 W silver eagle it is given TWO line item listings, one for each finish. why are they doing it differently.

He points out the elisaberg collected his complete set by line item listing and he got either a proof OR a business strike but usually not both. He has been using the Redbook as his checklist, but now he is finding that with ssome coins he only has to buy one date/mint combination but because of this difference in the listing style for these he needs two.

At least I think that is the point he is making.

Frankly just define the collection your own way and don't be tied into how someone else lists them.

Yes, you've described it much more clearly than I did. It's not a big deal, really, just an added inconsistency in how I've chosen define my checklist. I think I'll just stick to each line item in the Red Book being a distinct coin.