• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 S Morgan dollar.

10 posts in this topic

I was reading in the November 26th issue of coin world where on October 4th at the first annual coin show that somebody just walked up to a dealer there with a roll (20) 1893-S Morgan dollars.They ranged in grade from Fine to Extremely fine .

The article doesnt state whether it was the same customer but that the same dealer also appraised rolls of 1883 S and 1884 S Morgan Dollars.

I would imagine that the roll was put together some time ago by some shrewed collector........certainly should pay off handsomely if they ever decide to sell.

Rolls of 1883-S and 1884-S wouldn't be too bad to have around either......if I had the money to start assembling key date rolls of anything I would but if I had that kind of cash....I probably wouldn't have to save for a rainy day :cloud9:

The 1883-S and 1884-S are common coins in circulated condition so it is not difficult to put a roll of these together. The 1893-S is quite expensive, but also readily available. However, the roll of 1893-S Morgans is still an accomplishment.

I'd bet you can go to any decent sized coin show and put together a roll of 1893-S Morgan dollars, given deep enough pockets. Though it really is the key to a circulated business-strike set, it is an overly hyped rarity.

A roll of 1895 Morgans - now that would be something to brag about!

I'd bet you can go to any decent sized coin show and put together a roll of 1893-S Morgan dollars, given deep enough pockets. Though it really is the key to a circulated business-strike set, it is an overly hyped rarity.

A roll of 1895 Morgans - now that would be something to brag about!

There are a couple of fairly small, "medium cap" dealers who make a point of having a selection of 1893-S dollars. The grades range from ANACS VG to NGC EF. The coin is farily common. Only the prices have gone through the roof. :baiting:

My preference for the 1895 over the 1893-S has nothing to do with "rarity" or "value". Neither is a rare coin, though both are expensive. But the 1895 has a "coolness factor" that the 1893-S doesn't. In other words, it's the intangibles that are important to me (in this case).

The 1893-S is really only 'rare' in the context of Morgan dollars. Tain't rare at all in the context of seated coinage. ;)

And seated coinage isn't rare when compared to an 1849 Double Eagle. Big deal!

Chris

The article went on to say that the prices for each would range from $3000.00 to $15,000.00 depending on which grade for the 1893S.So we are talking about a good piece of change.

It would seem to me that the person did not spend his whole life collecting just the 1893S.I would imagine that this is just a small part or he was checking for somebody else. Maybe they were part of an inheritance. The article did say that he was going to send in a few of the better pieces for grading.

It would seem logical that if he took them to the show to have then appraised by a dealer that he was not too sure of the value . The dealer probably picked out the few to be graded.